Summer Skin This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The cool breeze sifts through my limbs, slipping and sliding through unexplored parts. For a moment the rest of the world slips away, scrubbed clean and absolved by the waves. I’d like to dive into that ocean, feel the water crash down on me, suppress me, remind me that I’m not the only thing that matters. But I can’t. Not now. Not yet. I should be here when you wake up, because that was the one sincere promise I made you.

I don’t even want to try leaving right now – not when it was you who looked at me in that way that taught me what it was to feel the ground beneath my feet disappear. Tiny rivulets of water slither down your temple, and I’m tempted to brush them away. I hold back, remembering what my father always told me: “The one you mark is the one you keep.” And I don’t want to mark you because I’m not sure if I’ll keep you. I’m not sure if I’ll keep you, and I’m even less sure about whether you’d survive it. Maybe it’s because I know you feel me slipping away despite your desperate clutching, like the grains of sand you held so tightly in your palm not two hours ago. Or was it years? It doesn’t matter.

The past has passed, and what’s left of it except a few recollections that’ll be buried beneath a surface of newer memories? Maybe you don’t feel the same way, and you’ll wake believing that the past is the segue to our future. Oh, what I wouldn’t give so that you’d wake to think about your next encounter instead. A part of me – the part that wishes this would never end – wants to convince me that I should stay, because you’re too bruised and too vulnerable and too fragile to do this on your own. The part of me that knows it’ll just be later rather than sooner overpowers the other.

The sand shifts slightly and, without looking, I know you’re reaching out for me. I bite down on my tongue gently, forcibly swallowing a groan of frustration. Against my better judgment, I offer you my hand and feel yours slip into it, entwining and tangling. Your hand is as familiar to me as my own, the leathery feel of your skin and long-dried salt strangely comforting. How could it not be, when I can recount thousands of paths traced upon the lines of my face with the wandering pads of your thumbs? Every trail embedded on your palm tells of every secret meeting we’ve had, all testaments to our fairy-tale story.

Fleetingly, I wonder if I’ll have the courage to stay when the silvery tones are replaced by glowing warmth. Then you stir again and it’s not hard for me to remember why I can’t stay within fields of golden scenery and humid, still air.

You exhale and I inhale. The moon is bright, illuminating the sky and shining like a large quarter in the expanse of navy blue above us. I tilt my head and glance at you, carelessly sprawled out. Surely you wouldn’t be so nonchalant if you knew. Your sunset skin and long limbs make me think of our summer, brightness and oceans bursting behind my eyelids. Your face is all angles and planes, like a high school geometry lesson. You’re squirming again, and I know that it’ll be only a matter of minutes before you wake.

“You’re leaving?” Your voice is rough with sleep, but somehow it’s still like warm molasses.

“Well, you’re awake now,” I say neutrally. It’s not a direct answer, and I know you hate it.

Your hand slips from mine and you rub your eyes, so blue they put the spring sky to shame. “Are we ever going to talk?”

“There’s nothing to say.” I shrug and promptly wince, remembering why I hate the sun. My shoulders are red and achy, sensitive even against the thin fabric of my shirt.

“Okay.” You nod slowly. “Okay.” We’re quiet for a few moments before you reach out and brush a strand of hair from my face. I know there’s more to this. “Things get lost without anyone noticing on the way, you know.” Your tone is quiet. Not angry. Not sad. Quiet.

“We’re a mistake we knew we were making,” I reply. “Four weeks isn’t enough to make something real. It’s not like we could have had forever.”

“Love that’s real doesn’t need to have forever,” you say, just as quietly.

I contemplate my words carefully. In the end, honesty wins over tact. “This isn’t real.”

It takes another long, steady moment before you decide to speak again. When you do, I sigh with weariness.

“You were the loneliest place I’ve ever been in.”

“And you thought you could fix that?”

“I wish I could have.”

We are both looking up at the sky, wondering why the stars aren’t out. Maybe they’re hiding behind a veil of thin clouds. Your arm is barely brushing mine, almost inconceivably. I think of how many times I pictured this moment, this ending point. It’s nothing like the dramatic scene in my mind. It’s almost as if the strings connecting us had been snapping one by one, softening the final blow.

I’ll miss you, your broad smile and loud laughter. I can close my eyes and almost picture you bounding up the stairs to my family’s summer home. I’ll miss the days we spent on the dock, playing that stupid game where we name the passing boats. I’ll miss your black leather jacket that always smelled of humid afternoons and sunshine. I’ll miss your golden hair and the small freckles that dot the bridge of your nose and the tops of your cheeks. I’ll miss the birthmark right below your left shoulder blade, the one shaped like Italy. I’ll miss your family. I’ll miss your dog. I’ll miss your room. I’ll miss your car.

Somehow, despite all of this, I still say, “See you around.”

TorioT4 said...
 wow veryy beautiful great illustration of real lifee some parts were a little confusing but you tied it together very well

alwer299 said...
Jan. 16, 2011 at 5:52 am
wow. very good. totally origanal. i dont have enough sleep to write complete sentences.

MDiaz said...
Dec. 24, 2010 at 1:02 am

Hey, guys.

It's the author here. I haven't really been on this site (or revisited this story) for a long while now. I get e-mail notifications from comments all the time, but I usually just delete them after all of the accusations of plagiarism. Given how good my syntax is, I think you all know that I'm not stupid. Posting a plagiarized story on a public forum is flat-out idiotic.

But anyway. I wrote this long before The Last Song ever came out (I'm not sure about the book, but ... (more »)

TeenStar25 said...
Hi fuzzy pickles didnt u love this article????????????

pickle*eater said...
wats up teen star?

TeenStar25 replied...
hey fuzzy not much how bout u

LazyDaisyLovesYou replied...
Oct. 7, 2011 at 8:22 am
it's so obvious this was set up pickle*eater and teenstar25

skyblue95This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Absolutely amazing. I actually felt that some (or all) of this had actually happened to you. It was pure genious (sorry, I'm not good with spelling, and I know it's wrong, haha). Anyway, if you can, I would really appreciate it if you commented on some of my work. I need feedback and reviews. Thanks and keep writing!

Chanchie said...
Dec. 3, 2010 at 7:05 am
this was...just too good!! :)

MayaChristine This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is amazing! You write beautifully. I love it, and I'm adding it to my favourites :D xx

TheMusicalFaery said...
Beautiful! I love it. :)

ilovewriting95 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow! Great job! I liked it.... will you please read and comment my articles?

TeenStar25 replied...
sure what r the called

pickle*eater replied...
thats ur comment lol

Liddie This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
You write really well; great grammar, style, vocab etc, though I didn't really understand. Obviously that's a major flaw, but everything else was great so you are obviously a talented writer. Please check out my stuff.

dizzydoo said...
Sept. 28, 2010 at 7:03 am
wow that was a great story, i really loved the detail..........keep writing!  

teenage_drama_queen93 said...

i've now got this imaginary heart ache.

this was beautifully written and i wish i had the vocabulary skills to put into words how much i loved it.

definitely keep writing. check out my work? =]

mimirocks124 said...
wow ! great job. check out my work?

kfelt158 said...
I absolutely LOVED this story!!! I think everybody sooner or later is going to be in this postition and I could definately relate.  I loved every little detail of this story.  Great job!

CrazyWriter said...
Jul. 27, 2010 at 9:05 am
I guess you right....