True Friendship | Teen Ink

True Friendship

By Abi-street GOLD, Birmingham, Other
Abi-street GOLD, Birmingham, Other

Try to be a rainbow in someone’s cloud. - Maya Angelou

A hyperactive little bird has been singing all morning. Peering out the window, I can see why the bird is so happy. Her beautiful hatchlings have started their long wonderful lives. Three fluffy heads bopping up and down endlessly, waiting for their mommy to give them breakfast. It is so beautiful.
Wait, one little egg is still full. “Come on little one, you can do it”. Mommy bird notices something is wrong with her little egg. Suddenly she starts tapping… still no movement. I slowly open the window with caution, trying not to frighten the new mom. I stretch out my short arm as far as I possibly can; softly mommy bird nudges her egg towards my cold shaking hand. The lifeless egg quietly rolls towards the safety of my hand. I softly scoop the egg up into my cold fingers and gently place it on my soft bed.
Mommy bird jumps on the window ledge and watches from afar. Trusting me to save her baby. I quickly get the lamp and hurriedly plug it in. I grab the nearest blanket and create a nest for the baby. Suddenly mommy bird lands on my shoulder. I try not to jump as I don’t want to startle her, but she startled me a little. The curious beautiful bird helplessly resting on my shoulder as we both watch the lifeless egg, hoping the little baby bird will soon be with us. Time slowly passes.
It’s cold. The window is still open; I must’ve forgotten to close it. As I close the window I see the new mom struggling to keep all her babies warm. I can sense a storm, the dark clouds slowly approaching us, nature testing this new mother to the limit. I must help her. Surely there’s something I can do? The miserable sky becoming even gloomier. Alone, shaking and struggling, this helpless beautiful bird.
I pull open my drawer and empty all the contents, clothes are flying everywhere.  The first rain drop has landed on my window, claiming it as its home. Frantically I quickly create three little nests and one bigger one. I open the window in a rush; the mommy bird stares at me. Hopefully I have gained her trust. I hold my hand out in hope she will jump onto it. “Come on, I will help you” cautiously she jumps on, I cup her in my hands; she is so cold…
Quickly I place her into her freshly made warm nest. “I promise I will save you and your babies, it’s going to be ok, I promise” slowly mommy bird closes her beautiful green eyes. Sleeping sweetly; I silently shut her drawer, not all the way; to keep her warm. I quickly dash for the window to get the three little baby birds. Silently sleeping. Thankfully their mother kept them warm, they’re not too cold. Carefully I pick up each fragile body and gently place them in their individual nests.
There is still no sign of movement in the egg. I don’t want to lose hope for the little fellow, mommy bird watches over him/her. Wait! The egg is rocking. The bird is hatching. It’s here! Little miss lucky. Mommy bird flies out the window. Where is she going? Her baby has just hatched. Please come back.
Mommy bird has been gone for about a day now. I’m worried. I cleaned the new baby, it’s a girl. So that’s 3 girls and one boy, not including mommy bird. I wonder where mommy bird is. I hope she is ok.
She came back, with a bunch of wiggly worms in her beak. She plonked them on my lap… I think she went to get me a gift and say thank-you. I kissed her small fragile head; I think she knows I appreciate her kindness. She is more than a bird to me. We both saved her baby.
I need to name these birds… they’re not just birds to me. Mimi. Yes! Mommy bird is Mimi. Fluff ball is the small fluffy one; he is brown with a white fluffy tummy. Pebble is the pure black one, with pure black eyes she is really friendly; second before last, snug bug, she loves cuddles and finally little miss lucky, I call her lucky for short, I’ve been caring for this family, my family, for about 2 weeks now; soon they will have their first flying lesson.
They listen when I call their names; Mimi sleeps in my bed whereas the four little ones prefer their nests. “You’re the best thing that happened to me Mimi” she knows I love her so much. Tomorrow we’re going to teach them how to fly.
Mimi is with the four little ones on the tree, where I found them… she keeps flapping her beautiful soft wings, demonstrating how to use them, pebble is the bravest, and she takes the first step. She loses her footing and slips. Mimi squealed with fear, her precious baby falling helplessly. “Got you” luckily my safe hands caught the little brave pebble. Mimi swoops down and lands on my shoulder; she nudges her soft tiny head on my cheek. “I love you too Mimi” before me and Mimi realise snug bug is slowly gliding down, I cup my hands and she lands softly on my hands “well done snug bug you did it” shortly after all the little brave birds were flying around with their mom.
Sadness rushed through my body. I realised soon my family will have to migrate. They will be old enough to explore the world. This is so hard. They don’t come in my room that often anymore. They all sit on the old tree, the thin branch, the off brown mouldy green kind.  What am I going to do without you? My family will be gone.
I can feel it today is the day. The day to say goodbye and let them be free. My precious Mimi. “I love you Mimi, I always will, this is your home for forever, my fighter” she rubbed her head in my hand then called to her babies. One by one they flew out the window. I quietly whispered bye.

One year later.
Tap.Tap.Tap.Tap. what’s that noise? The window. It’s probably raining. Tap.Tap.Tap.Tap. wait… could it be… MIMI!  I quickly jump out of bed, and sitting on my window ledge is 5 fully grown birds. Mimi, Pebble, Snug bug, Lucky, Fluff ball. I open the window and they automatically fly into the room. “Welcome home my best friend”