Opportunities? | Teen Ink

Opportunities?

January 16, 2015
By Deandrea SILVER, Wharton, New Jersey
Deandrea SILVER, Wharton, New Jersey
7 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
It is What It Is...


       Delilah a young girl with a big dream and a disability, was diagnosed years before and her parents went insane. Shoveling out money to help their little angel, both parents, one a doctor another a lawyer, Couldn’t believe it happened to their only child. Autism and the piano Delilah didn't have to choose, her frail miniature hands flew down the black and white keys. While her attention went unfocused and her gaze shifted with no control, Delilah was still a bubbly and an outgoing eleven year old. Her  lovely music swam through the house, adored and  ///stop ///enjoyed.
When suddenly the phone rang, “BUZZ!” “RING” “BUZZ”
This loud obnoxious noise startled Delilah and caused her to curiously wonder downstairs. It was new neighbors from nextdoor, these neighbors had moved in about two or three days before the phone call. They were honest and careful about admitting that their son had autism. (Wishing that Delilah and the neighbors son, Edward could be friends. ) The parents simply bonded over the fact that their two eleven year old’s had autism.
The  pair of parents had a lengthy conversation, on how musical they’re two children were,
“ Edward, can really play the guitar?’ Delilah’s mother asked amazed, how a boy can be partly deaf and still be musically talented.
It was a surprise for delilah, when she had wondered into the neighbors house on accident and heard the magical sound of a wonderful guitar solo. When she turned the corner  she gasped, She saw Edward with a beautiful chestnut colored guitar. It was a challenging task to talk to him since he was partly deaf but with a simple touch of the shoulder. He knew she was there, and he had known that his secret musical talent was known.The two children overlooked the secret and decided to draw.Until, Delilah let curiosity take over and she mumbled loudly to make sure he could hear her,
“Edward how come, you can’t hear me sometimes?”
“I don’t really know, my parents say it is a dissable” Edward stumbled over the word disability, as he was too busy drawing all over the blank sheet of paper.
It was the next day when Delilah was practicing a new song on the  piano, and the different sounds fluttered all around the spaced out house. Neither parents wanted the pleasurable music to end. But it was time for another audition, where their grey eyed child might get noticed for her hard work.
“Darling,” Delilah heard her mother's soothing voice call to her through the tangle of stairs and hallways.
“Is it time mother?” Delilah’s high pitched voice sounded as her dainty feet carried her into the family room.
“Yes, we can’t be late,” Delilah’s mother’s voice lowered, trying not to rush the poor child.

Fifteen minutes later, both parents and their respectful but curious daughter rushed through the crowded streets of New York City, their auburn colored hair whipping in their faces from the cold winter wind. Both parents throughly disgusted by the loud noise of people screaming profanities and bustling cars zipping by. New York City was not the very first choice of a living arrangement but it had, enough cases for the mother, enough injuries for the father and enough auditions for the daughter. As always, the conductor was thoroughly surprised at three things: how well she played, how she was only eleven years old and the shocking fact of she had autism. As always, another opportunity was shot down, as always it would be another night of soothing the teary eyed child to sleep. As always, both parents were troubled and disappointed at the biased decision. A few weeks passed, with a few auditions here and there. The result was always the same, the confusion on each conductors seen clearly, but with a reply of,
“We’ll call you,”heavily laced with uncertainty.
             Edward and Delilah’s parents both knew how gifted their child was. To honor that they were planning, to start the ID Foundation. The ID Foundation was a charity that helped kids with disabilities show how musical they were. It was a chance to show their real Identities, the challenging part was finding someone to conduct and teach the group,
“Why? Why don’t you want to help kids with disabilities?” Delilah’s usually calm mother, barked into the phone, aggravated.
Just when all hope was lost, the phone rang . The phone rang for five minutes straight, five minutes of that standard irritable ring. Even more annoyed than before, she quickly answered the phone with a heavy sigh.
“What?” She snapped without a care in the world. 
“I will do it! I want to help, this is Leonard Bernstein from the audition a few weeks ago.” He rushed in one breath
“ Alright then,” She questioned stunned.
It took a few months to piece everything together but both sets of parents wanted to show the children how much they truly loved them.
“Surprise!”  The parents exclaimed at different times, while wildly throwing their hands up into the air.
Stunned at the news, the parents later shared. The thrilled children couldn’t help but shout,“THIS IS OURS?” in disbelief.
“Yes, we actually bought this theatre for you,” Delilah’s mother stopped to ruffle the kids hair
“We all know that you both love music, there is no doubt about that but we as,”
“ The parents needed you guys to express your musical talents.” One dad started and the other Finished, both with a wide smile.
It was perfect, the theatre was filled with so many red plush seats.
"Don't hurt yourselves!" Edwards mother screamed nervously as both children jump from one seat to another with little shouts of joy.
That’s when the night changed from a happy and joyful filled day.To a night in the ER both parents rethinking their choices, but all was well. Three weeks later, the parents were glad that they were able to give opportunities to children that deserved it with all their heart, not only their own but a few dozen others too. It was the first opening show, that was able to be put on and it was amazing, hundreds of people filled the seats. Everyone, shared the same happy grin spreading from ear to ear, that now there is an outlet for children with disabilities.