Diamond Teardrop

I sit still and silent and alone as I am looking brokenly upon the “Tomb of the Unknown Soldier”. Is that the story of my Dustin now -- has he suffered such a mangling death that his corpse may not be recognized and brought home?

As I sit at one end of the bench with my back leaned up against the wall I am between the floor and the pool, between land and water. When I think about it this seems to be a fairly accurate way to sum up how I feel.

A floor is solid and supportive -- hard to break, this is me with Dustin. Water however will have its calm-seeming surface broken easily and will swallow you if you let it -- this feeling of helpless drowning is me floundering is Dustin’s absence.

Right now I sit in the middle as I am expected to believe Dustin is alive -- although he is not at war and he is not at home, they say he is still breathing somewhere.

I want to hit them for saying this is so. Every young man from Canada today is at war or at home -- if neither he is dead. Yet they don’t have the nerve to say this to me. Would it really kill them to say “Dustin is dead but we do not know where.”? I guess they think so. Perhaps I allow myself to possess this anger because it quiets the sobbing sadness.

They told him how fighting in the war would be honourable, and he thought seeing all those new places would be so exciting. He wanted to fight for freedom; he wanted to go with all the boys for the country. He would send me letters when he could, he said. Oh I was proud of him.

I remember how when those letters would arrive my heart would just flutter. My heart would flutter because I saw those letters as signs that in his spare time he really would think of me. I see now that his thoughts of me were the wrong reasons to appreciate those letters -- I should have been thankful for the signs that he was okay. I should have been thankful that he was able to write at all.

Back here in Canada we knew the war could only be getting harder for the boys to fight, but I knew mine was coming home soon -- that was most of what I really cared about; that does sound selfish but it’s honest. His contract was almost up, he was coming home.

It was in about the last two months of his contract that he really stopped writing. I thought it was okay though, even if I had no letters to read, I could count down the days until I would see my one true lover again.

Now I sit here in the reflecting room, remembering all this for that one true lover who never did come home.

I watched those young men get off the bus one by one -- men who had left us as boys and come back all grown up and in uniform. I watched their faces light up when they saw their families -- the pure joy that being in Canada brought them was magical to see. I watched for the face that would light up when it saw me standing here. While I fiddled with the beautiful engagement ring on my left hand ring finger, I waited -- Oh, the engagement ring.

I’ m fiddling with it now as I stare over the smooth reflecting pool. This pool and its still water has come to represent death in my mind today. The ring he -- Dustin -- gave to me only three short weeks before he left… Because he loved me and he wanted me to wear that ring to show everyone that I was his and that I would be his forever.

Everyone admired this ring -- told me I was a lucky girl to have caught myself such a “fine young man” when the ring was from my soldier, my passionate patriot. Everyone smiled at me and complimented the ring when in a matter of time he would come home.

But now he is dead. And nobody can stand to look at the ring, when anybody’s eyes fall upon my face today, they are sad. Now they don’t say I’m lucky at all for my soldier will not come home.

That sparkling ring, while I sit here, slips from my pale and shaking fingers and I realize how the tears are pouring down my cheeks to land in the pool I look over. That’s where the ring lands, in the pool. It breaks the surface gently -- like a diamond teardrop. I watch as it sinks peacefully down to rest on the bottom. It sparkles -- like his eyes used to sparkle.

A new wave of sorrow crashes over me as my mind conjures up an image of his sparkling blue eyes. My breath is short as I remember how those perfect eyes used to shine when they looked into mine… how just one glance from him could make my heart stop…

The ring is settled on the bottom of the pool now -- it looks like a frozen, diamond teardrop beneath the water; cried for the loss of a love and eternally preserved by sorrow.

hana104 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 3, 2009 at 7:33 am:
it's a great article.i wish i could write one like it

Jessica T. said...
May 2, 2009 at 1:25 am:
Awesome! It was like I could really feel her sorrow.

Mackenzie N. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 2, 2009 at 1:23 am:
Wow, I would have thought that was really you feeling all that. And to come up with the whole thing just because of a simple little comment from your teacher? When you are a best-selling author, remember me and send me a signed copy for which I will put in a lit glass case and think, "And it was simply by chance that I found my favorite author." and from then on, I will always remember the diamond teardrop that is laying at the bottom of a pool because her soldier didn't come home. I will rem... (more »)

alex said...
so i read this for like the 4th or 5th time now and it is amazing! omg...but anyway. i love it. and i was wondering if you wouldnt mind checkin out my story and givin me a comment...if not then dont worry about it ;D

TeenInk.com/raw/Fiction/article/72014/One-Long--Note/

:PBUBBLES:P said...
That was brilliant, especially the way you came up with the idea!! I would never have thought of doing that! I loved the way you talked about how no one ever said you were lucky anymore. The description was great. Love it so so so much!!!

Megan S. said...
that was amazing, wow... 6 out of 5

fratboy said...
Cool!

asavageferret said...
Apr. 20, 2009 at 2:22 am:
Sorry, but I really need some feed back on one of my pieces. Anyone mind looking at it? TeenInk.com/raw/Fiction/article/87506/Black-Rain/

Hannah_K. said...
Apr. 18, 2009 at 2:37 am:
That was so sad, and so brilliant! Keep on writing!

Haley G. said...
vell et vas veery goid! nece and cleer nd vondeervol!

Stephenmcrey said...
So Awesome!
Could you check this out to give me feedback?

TeenInk.com/raw/Fiction/article/96942/Our-Army/

MarineLover said...
Apr. 3, 2009 at 12:44 am:
This is very good...i can relate to what she is going to because I am afraid of that very same thing. My fianceé is a United States Marine and he ships out June 22nd. God Bless those who fight for our country.

Zero_Kiryu This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is soooo good. For once I am at a loss for words. Bravo.

ZERO

Jamie D. said...
Mar. 27, 2009 at 12:37 am:
i really liked it it feels so genuine!

bigd23g2 said...
Mar. 25, 2009 at 1:11 pm:
i really liked this story it was great you should consider being a writer

Brett S. said...
Mar. 16, 2009 at 3:38 pm:
Amazing story Carmen. I found myself holding on to every single word on the page. I prefer to read instead of writing and i have sampled stories by amazing authors, and you will be amazing. Keep up the work and you'll have a best seller in no time!

emobetch717 said...
Mar. 13, 2009 at 3:04 pm:
awesome

4C said...
Mar. 9, 2009 at 2:08 pm:
WOW, Carmen! I am sure this is only one of many brilliant stories to come. Congratulations!
-4C

alexk said...
Mar. 9, 2009 at 6:11 am:
this was a very good story, i loved the way it was written and it was so convincing that i decided not to promote my own story because it is disgraced by this beautiful work of art. if you do not keep writing it would defidently be a shame because you have such and amazing talent...keep it up

-Alex

LadyLuck said...
Mar. 5, 2009 at 8:38 pm:
OH My God! this story brought tears to my eyes. it is so beautiful, but so sad. sometimes we forget things can be both, but this definatly reminds us. I hope you become an author so other people can be moved by your feelings.