The Box, Part 1 | Teen Ink

The Box, Part 1

January 4, 2015
By sknerr GOLD, Princeton, New Jersey
sknerr GOLD, Princeton, New Jersey
15 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take -Wayne Gretzky" -Michael Scott


   He swallowed nervously as he opened the box. He didn’t even know how he had gotten here. All he knew was that he needed to open the box. The box was metal, black in color, with cryptic markings etched along the sides. Why was he doing this? The stalactites hanging from the roof of the cave cast menacing shadows on the rocky ground in the light of his torch. Dusk was beginning to fall.
   Using his pocketknife, he pried open the lid of the box. The box had a black silk covering its contents. He removed the silk, and inside the box was a glowing sapphire , about the size of a gum ball. His hands shook as he took the radiant gem from the box and placed it into his sweaty palm. Suddenly, a gust of icy wind blew out the torch, leaving him in pitch darkness. Gradually, a ray of sunshine peeked through the dark. He looked around. He was back in his New York apartment, in his own bed, in his own room. He exhaled slowly. Of course, this must have been a dream! He began to feel relieved. That is, until his noticed he held an indigo sapphire clenched tightly in his fist.

    TO BE CONTINUED….


The author's comments:

This was a promt from a ssat drill. Enjoy!!!