A True Champion Believes in The Impossible | Teen Ink

A True Champion Believes in The Impossible

By basic1234 BRONZE, Stockton, California
basic1234 BRONZE, Stockton, California

A TRUE CHAMPION BELIEVES IN THE IMPOSSIBLE 

“Shawn, the cops are here!” yelled Connor, from the other hall.
“Are you kidding,” I said.”We have to move!”
“Wait what do we do with the money?” asked Leo.
“Just take it, c’mon now lets go!” I yelled, as I grabbed it and ran towards the front doors.
I could hear and see the sirens through the walls. I stepped out of the bank and I knew it was all over. I had never been in a situation where I had forgotten even the simplest things.

A Couple Months Before

It was five o'clock in the morning. I grabbed my gym bag and walked to the park about two miles away. Every morning I would practice some exercises, passes, and tricks. At six o’clock I would walk back home to take a shower and get ready for school. School was super important to my mom. Always nagging me about my grades.

“Hey dude wake up,” said Leo. ‘The teacher is coming.”
I raised my head and started doing my work as Mr. Bravo, my sixth period teacher, walked passed me.
“Man I don’t get why you wake up so early to do soccer.”said Connor.
“Dude you don’t understand,” I said. “ The only way to get better is to practice.”
“Yeah but you don’t even play in a league.” said Connor.
“Yeah I  know, but someday I will!” I said.
“Just shut up Connor, I understand Shawn.” said Leo, as he hit Connor with his shoulder.
“Okay…” said Connor annoyed.
I walked back home. School is about three miles away, not too far. When I get home my parents are not home. My mom is always working, my mom usually gets home at eight, and my dad about nine. I always eat and then get straight to my homework.

This day couldn't have gone any slower, but finally it was lunch time. The school was having a rally.
“Ugh, here comes Christian.” I said, trying to keep a quiet voice.
“He always thinks he’s-” I was cut off.
“I’m sorry, what did you say?”said Christian, with a nasty look on his face.
“Nothing, nevermind” I said, trying to play it off.
“Hmm, that’s what I thought,” said Christian “you little wannabe.”
I stayed silent.
“You cannot play soccer, you suck!” yelled Christian.
A lunch lady separated us. My blood was boiling. I had a nasty look on my face. I went to the bathroom to get out of the crowd. I can’t wait until I get home. I sat at the dinner table thinking of what to say to mom. When she got home i asked her about soccer.
“Mom I wanted to ask you if you could see about putting me in the league.” I asked.
“Ugh I don’t know, maybe not right now.” said mom.
“Please mom,” I said “only one season.”
“I already said no!” said mom.
“Alright, what if I pay for it myself?” I asked.
“God dammit Shawn, you are always asking to play and play , do you ever think of your family? huh? I don’t know. I don’t have time right now, now go clean your room.” said mom.
I went up to my room to think of some quick ways to get money. I couldn’t fall asleep that night. Thoughts ran through my mind. The next day something weird happened at school. I was walking through the school halls when.
“Hey man!” said Leo, punching me in a friendly way.
“Hey.” I said, not in the best mood.
“Look my mom said she could pay for your first season as long as you pay her back! said Leo.
“Are you forreal?” I asked. A huge grin appeared on my face.
“C’mon just do it!” he said.
“Okay let’s do this,” I said “ When do I start?
“Today, I’ll pick you up for practice,” said Leo “5, okay?”
“Yeah, see you then” I said.
I was so excited. I ran halfway home, I couldn't breath after, so I walked the rest.  I ran inside the house. By the time I got home it was four so I ate and did a little homework then got ready to go. I saw Leo’s van pull up. I ran out of my house and got in the car with him.
“Thank you Ms.M.”  I said.
“No problem.” she said.
I walked on the field and my heart was racing. The coach had to see if I was worthy of being on the team before I could play. I practiced everyday but I don’t have correct drills to follow. I guess  I played okay because I made it but he wasn’t too happy. I’m just glad I made it. Hours passed and I was still at the park.
“You sure you don’t want a ride?” asked Leo.
“No I’m fine.” I said.
“Okay see you tomorrow!” said Leo.
I would say I stayed at the park an extra hour. Opps my mom is going to be angry. I hoped she wouldn’t , but who knows.
I opened the door and heard footsteps.
“Hey mom” I said.
“Where were you?” asked mom.
“I got into soccer!” I said.
“Why didn’t you tell me, “ said mom “I was worried!”
“Sorry I was so excited.” I said.
“So who did you get money from?” asked mom.
“ Leo offered to pay as long as I pay his mom back.” I said.
“Where are you getting the money from?” asked mom.
“Don’t worry mom I got it.” I said.
“Okay take care of it.” she said.
I went to my room. I was super tired. All day I played soccer, my feet hurt. A couple weeks passed by, and soccer was going great.
“Hey your grades came in today.” said mom.
“Oh okay.” I said worriedly.
Mom opened the letter.
“A, A, B, A, A,C. “ said mom. “ A c!”
“Oh-uh” I muttered.
“What happened?” asked mom.
“ I don’t know I was doing fine.” I proclaimed.
“You know what it is!” said mom. “It’s that stupid soccer!”
“It’s not stupid!” I yelled.
“ Ever since you have started, your grades have gone down the drain.” said mom.
“It’s just one class mom!”I yelled.
“Nope you need to bring it up or no more soccer.” said mom.
“Fine!” I said in an angry tone.
I got a call from Leo.
“Hey we made it to the championships!” said Leo
“I can’t” I replied.
“What do you mean, why?” he asked.
“I got a C in one of my classes and my mom says I have to bring my grades up,”I said. “Also I have to retake that test on Saturday.”
“You didn’t pass?” he asked.
“No I really want to play but I can’t.” I said.
“Ok well good luck in school.” said Leo.
Alright I have to study, I thought to myself. So my test is on english. Hopefully this test could do something to my grades. Studying is so hard especially because it’s boring. I have one day to study on this test while I have other classes to work on. I would rather be outside playing soccer. Later that night I went to bed. March, 5th 2011. Today was the big day. All my hard work being put to the test. I woke up and walked to school. I had a good breakfast and I was mentally ready. I sat in the shiny steel chair. My palms were shaking and I was sweating a bit. I probably spent about an hour on my test. There was still time to get to the game but i would need to walk home to get my clothes then walk back to the park. I guess it was worth a try. I walked home, put on my pants and grabbed my gear and was out. I decided to take my bike to try and get there faster. I pedaled my way  through the cities nastiest streets and took a shortcut that ended up being a dead end. I went back out to the main street and hurried. When I finally got to the field I saw my team. I let my bike fall on the floor. “Smack” went my bike but I ran to my coach. I asked my coach if I was still able to play.
“Coach.” I said while gasping for air.
“Shawn what are you doing here!” asked Coach M.
“I want to play,” I answered.
“I’m sorry but your too late, I can’t let anyone on the field.” said Coach M.
“You mean I did all of this for nothing.” I said in an angry tone. Coach M. was still talking to me but I ignored him. My legs were sore and my shirt had a big sweat stain. I had a headache from all that I have been thinking. I don’t even know what my score was on the test but I know it will be there when I came home. Then I opened the door.
“Shawn!” yelled mom.
“Huh?” I asked.
“You got a B-.”
“That’s great.” I said, as I hugged my mom tight.
I walked up to my room. All of a sudden I got a call from Leo.
“Hey.” said Leo.
“Hey.” I said.
“So I was going to tell you that my mom wants the money now.” said Leo.
“What! I can’t pay her right now!” I said.
“She said since you didn’t play in the tournament she wants the money now.” said Leo.
“You have to have to help me,” I said “ How about we get some money from the bank?”
“Do you even have an account?” he asked.
“No I have a better idea,” I said, “meet me by the bank close to my house.”
“Okay” said Leo.
We stood outside the bank until it got dark out, then it was game time. We went inside. I went through the back. I had my uncle’s old gun incase someone came and found us. I walked to the safe. My friend Leo knew how to deal with all the magnet stuff and broke in. I had never done anything that bad but it was worth it.
“Shawn, the cops are here!” Yelled Connor, from the other hall.
“Are you kidding,” I said “ We gotta move!”
“Just take it, c’mon now let’s go!” I yelled, as I grabbed it and ran towards the front doors.I could hear the sirens through the walls. I stepped out of the bank and I knew it was over.
“Do we run?” asked Connor.
“No, it’s over.” I said.I had never been in a situation where I had forgotten even the simplest things.
“what’s your name kid?” asked the police officer.
“Ugh I-I-I”  I said. The words couldn't come out my mouth. I had a huge headache, I could hear my heartbeat run faster and faster.
“Hey let me go!” yelled Connor. I could see him running from the cops.
“ You know you can't take me to jail” I said.
“Oh yea and why is that?” asked the police officer.
“ Because, you can’t catch me” I said running away. I only made it to my uncles house across town hall. I came to the realization that my uncle was a drug dealer and we both got caught.
“What did you do that for?” asked my uncle, while trying to escape the cops.

Fifteen years later

“Go run, you almost have it, GOOOAL!” I yelled.
Me and my buddy Connor were watching the soccer game. Barcelona VS. Brazil. My old friend Leo plays on Barcelona. I will never forget him.
“Alright kids it’s time to take you to soccer practice!” I said.