A Slightly Less Modest Proposal | Teen Ink

A Slightly Less Modest Proposal

By Tiffanny de Zayas BRONZE, Rockledge, Florida
Tiffanny de Zayas BRONZE, Rockledge, Florida

Often you may find oneself walking down the corridor in great distress. Though it may be caused by many different attributes, often it is found to be caused by one of the other inhabitants of the hallways. To find these pestering inhabitants you can not look directly ahead of yourself, you must look down, to about half your height. At no more than 4 foot nothing, these vermin stand short and show little care for the world around them. Their shouts echo throughout the halls, piercing into the temples of unsuspecting victims, a high pitched tone that would make a dog howl. Their gait either that of a snail, blocking off any passage around them or through the corridor in a timely fashion; or as quick as a horse around the track, often comments being made from the vermin similar to, “could you walk any slower, gosh,”  to which you would like to reply to but they already sped off into their next classroom. These vermin are generally called the 7th and 8th graders, and since the dawn of higher level education these pests have been slowly hacking away at the sanity of their seniors, the upperclassmen. Another issue, we have all been victim of, is the horrible, inedible rubbish they serve in the cafeteria that is passed for food.
To remedy these issues a few actions must be taken. Similar to the writings of “A Modest Proposal,” I suggest that we have a sort of lottery. Every Friday, homeroom students will pick three names, two 7th graders and one 8th grader, who they find irritating and not intellectual; the popular vote for the week will be tallied. The chosen three students would then be processed and made into school lunches. The following Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, the students would be served to the student body. Abstaining from serving the students to the student body on Friday out of consideration to the Catholic faiths rules of not eating meat on Fridays.
These measures help to reduce the amount of wasted resources on students who do not care about school or simply cannot learn in a traditional setting. Per year 96 students would be eliminated from the populace out of the say 200 students in the middle school grade levels enrolled in this establishment yearly. By cutting down on the number of students moving on, smarter generations could be raised and more room would be available for new students in the next year. This process also eliminates the question of the quality of the food. No longer do people have to guess what type of meat is being served, they know not only what but who.
I must profess that by establishing this into our school I would gain great satisfaction and my mental health would be drastically increased, along with many other upperclassmen and teachers. So I implore you to consider this for the sakes of not only the other students but teachers. If the process were to eliminate rowdy rude disrespectful students, teachers sanity would be more in check than now. So think not only of one aspect of this proposal, think of them all and realize that if this were enacted the general attitude to school would improve for everyone. 

This is an add on "A Modest Proposal" for the modern school sysytem and can be applied all the way up to 10th grade! Disclaimer this is a satire