A Mug of Hot Cocoa | Teen Ink

A Mug of Hot Cocoa

By MUSICinMYsoul GOLD, Taichung, Missouri
MUSICinMYsoul GOLD, Taichung, Missouri

What time is it? Please don’t wake me up from my pleasant sleep. I had the most wonderful dream... but now I can’t remember what anything that happened in it. Squinting, I pull my pillow closer to my face to block the sliver of light illuminating the fringe of my broken curtain, that never covers all of my window. YAWN. What’s going on? Right, snow day all by myself at home. I hoist my head until I am finally in a sitting position and can finally open my eyes without being blinded. To get off my bed, I scootch to the edge and kind of sulk and bend over when I’m standing up. Feet shuffling heavily across the room to the door and down the stairs to the kitchen for breakfast. I am home alone. Thoughts running through my head but just skimming over the edge of reality, as if I’m not thinking at all. By now I’m already sitting at the table with a bowl, spoon, milk and cereal in front of me. Burst of honey and cold spoon enters my mouth and I flinch. I should’ve worn my sweatshirt, but I’m too lazy to go upstairs to my room and get it. Uncomfortable, I eat my honey bunches of oats. Finally, now that my hands are numbing, I wash my bowl and spoon in water that feels too cold to be hot. Fractals of snowflakes waft themselves to and fro on the other side of the window. Too cold, I want my sweatshirt now, come on Paige, you can do it. Why am I even talking to myself now? Just go, it’s only upstairs. Doing it again.

It took about three minutes to convince myself to ascend the stairs to get my sweatshirt from my room on the second floor. I’m proud that I actually made popcorn and am trying to read a holliday magazine that my mom set out on the coffee table. Flip, flip, flip, nope nothing interesting. Oh! An advertisement featuring Jennifer Aniston, that’s about it. I want to watch Sleepless in Seattle, that’s pretty Christmas-y. Although I’ve watched it about thirty times within the last six months, it’s still my favorite movie. Stuff another handful of popcorn into my mouth. Wow! I made some good popcorn. Thank God for microwaves. Hot chocolate sounds good about now. No, I’m already comfortable on the couch. I’ll just enjoy the Christmas tree for a few minutes while I decide what I should do until lunch. What am I thinking about? I love how we decorated the Christmas tree, it really glows and shows my family’s winter spirit. I’m really tired, just drift off. Do something Paige! Sleepless in Seattle it is then, I’ve been wanting to watch it for a while. I watch the movie.

Now that the movie’s over, I can say that I get the chills when I see the ending of that movie. It’s just too perfect. Now it’s time for lunch. Should I eat a sandwich, or leftovers? I didn’t even need to ask that question. Gripping the refrigerator door handle, I prepare myself for the rush of cool air as if I was opening my front door to the tiny ice particles outside. Quickly, get the ham and cheese. On the counter now! Too cold! Too cold! Much better as I untwist the red wire thingy you use on packages of bread. Ok, I’ve got the bread, cheese and ham, the perfect sandwich on a plate. My thoughts trail off and suddenly I have a mug, shaking in hot cocoa mix, and getting hot water for a perfectly minty chocolate drink. Speaking of peppermint, I need to spice the my drink with a crushed candy cane beforehand to fully experience the body warming drink. Just thinking about it makes my mouth water. It’s that exciting feeling where your back cringes and you shrug your shoulders in the delightful thought of hot chocolate. Mmm, just so good, you have to quaver your head with a smile on your face. Yay! The hot water’s ready to pour in to about a half of an inch below the rim before I add some milk to cool it and make it richer. Escorting the bistered drink to the table, I pull out the chair to sit before my humble sandwich and aromatic mug of steaming liquid. Thank you God for this delicious lunch that I have prepared and thank you for inventing sandwiches and chocolate, Amen. Clammy as my hands are, I still felt the thin spongy toast as I bit into my favorite lunch of all times. The classic ham and cheese sandwich. Mmm... too good. Now for the hot chocolate, my hands cup though the handle of the porcelain container and raised it to my trembling lips. Whoo. The beverage rippled as I blew. Whoo. Is it cool enough to taste? My lips kiss the surface. Perfect. Smokey and nutty, with the hint of peppermint candy cane rolling over your tongue and singeing your throat with the complete warmth of the smooth butter from the chocolate. Pure bliss.