Thief | Teen Ink

Thief

November 19, 2014
By alexis.k0 BRONZE, Needham, Massachusetts
alexis.k0 BRONZE, Needham, Massachusetts
3 articles 0 photos 2 comments

My dad’s a thief.
I need to talk to him. Family dinner is the only way that I’ll do it. Ask him, why did he do all of that.
“One minute till dinner, Margarette!” My grandmother calls out.
I come downstairs. As I enter the dining room, I notice a pink stain on the clear, polished counter. Dad will be furious considering that my dog completely ruined the new, blue rug. To my surprise the family dinner already started.
“Dad, explain why are the police searching for you?.”
My father continues poking his fish with his fork. He takes a sip from his beer. Turning towards me he says, “Leave! And don’t come back.”
“I just want to know why you did it. Why you stole from all those poor people? I’m not leaving this room until you tell me why.” I say. I’m scared that he will hurt me.
“I didn’t want us to be like all those others, Margarette, who don’t have anything.” He seemed like he was laughing.
I left the room to get my iPhone. In the corner, I see a white briefcase with a tag “DON’T TOUCH”. I take my phone. My finger slides across the button “9” and does the same with the “1”. My hand starts to tremble as I type in the last “1”. I’m not sure I want to do this, but the only way to win this fight is to be the one to end it.
“He… Hello? Um I’m calling to report that my dad is the thief you’re lo-looking for.”
“ What’s your address?” A female offices asks me. I give her all of my information.
The police come within a few minutes. They knock on the door gently. My dad locks it, but they kick through. They grab him by the wrists and search him, then they search the house. Once they find the briefcase, they open it. They see what looks like cash and jewelry worth millions. The police take away my father. I know I should miss him, but he just doesn’t feel like family anymore.


The author's comments:

I thought about how some families are living in poverty. I also thought about world problems, and how to put the two together. I came up with an idea about a girl who faces an internal conflict.