"Untitled" | Teen Ink

"Untitled"

By Nolah B BRONZE, Phila, Pennsylvania
Nolah B BRONZE, Phila, Pennsylvania

For thirteen years I have sat against this hard, brick wall staring at the gum cemented into the walls by the previous residents . Even though the outside of this room was very familiar as it was my workplace before it all happened, I never knew what life was like on the inside. My life changed thirteen years ago when my buddy Drew and I decided to do something silly. So one day we headed out for one of the cities well-known bank. We were going to the bank to bail out Drew’s son and my daughter because they were charged for DUI.

Drew climbed into the front of the car and knocked over the donuts that had been lying off the edge of the passenger seat leaving rainbow colored sprinkles and powdered sugar dusted on the floor.
“You ready,” Drew asked me excitedly.
“I think so,” I said anxiously. “What about you?”
“I have been waiting for this moment since our children’s first hearing. I would’ve never thought you would agree to doing something like this. Especially because it’s against your-“ I cut him off instantly.
“Listen, I’m only doing this because I believe we will get away with it and I miss my daughter,” I said. “Now let’s get going.”

As we rode to the bank I could hear the radio dispatchers through my radio so I turned the volume down. I drove slowly because during lunchtime, many people would be making deposits and withdrawals. This would mean more witnesses and that wouldn’t be good. Thoughts traveled through my head faster than the speed of light. I found myself questioning if this is what I should be doing. But then I thought about Susan who’s in a predicament that even I as her father couldn’t handle. We pulled up to the bank, red lights blinked in the sign. My skin began to stick up and my ears began to ring.

When we walked into the bank, I had the black draw-stringed bag in my hand and Drew carried a gun inside of his pants between his torn belt-buckle and ripped Levi jeans that he stole from Macy’s.
“On the count of three, I’ll point my gun at the guard and you go into the drawers and collect everything.”
I never gave him the okay, mainly because I didn’t agree with his plan. But I did it anyway. As I walked to the back to the drawers I could hear Drew screaming to the security guard to drop his gun. I felt bad for Tom, mainly because I knew the things he went through on the job. I was at the drawer getting ready to receive that bail when I seen my coworkers and boss pacing into the back. It was in that moment when I knew I screw up.
“Hand over your badge,” he said as I walked out of the bank handcuffed by a close friend.

My name is Nolah B and I am a 10th grader at the Academy at Palumbo in Phila,PA. I wrote this microfiction story for a Creative Writing Assignment. Hope you enjoy !