Texting and Tragedy | Teen Ink

Texting and Tragedy

Texting and Tragedy
      I walked into school and my friend Zara ran over to me jumping and hugging on me
. “Guess what guess what!” Zara said with excitement.
“What?” I asked.
“I got it I got it my license!” Zara said.
We both screamed with excitement. Zara’s a year older than me so of course she would get hers before me. She told me how her mom would get her a car in two months if she kept up with her grades in school. We were both so excited.
“My mom said I can take her car out Friday night want to go out?” Zara asked.
“Sure” I said.
I couldn’t wait I never actually drove around with my friends. With just us two and no parents we could do anything, drive with no seat belts, loud music.. Everything. It’s finally Friday and me and Zara talked about what we would do tonight in lunch. We decided on going out to eat. Finally it was the end of the day I went home and waited for the text from Zara for me to come outside.                                
                I got into the car and we drove to the Grand Lux Cafe. The car ride was so fun we blasted the music all the way up just how our moms hated it. After we ate we got in the car to go home. Zara told me how she wasn’t really used to driving at night. I told her to put on her seatbelt but she thinks that its cooler to drive without one and nothing would happen so I unbuckled mines and we kept driving. Her phone vibrated and she picked it up and began texting. Next minute I know, Zara flew out the front window and I was there smushed in the car the doors were caved in everything was destroyed. They rushed us to the hospital where they announced Zara dead 20 minutes later. They told me I would be paralyzed from my waist down for the rest of my life. They said if we would have wore our seatbelts Zara wouldn’t be dead. I cried I couldn’t believe this I never thought one text could paralyze you and kill your best friend. If you get a text message while driving should you answer it? Yea, why not? You’ll just be dead like my best friend or paralyzed like me. Nothing was more important than that text. Maybe she didn't realize she was risking both of our lives. I couldn't believe this I never cried so much in my life. Nothing anyone says or does will bring her back. My only real friend, my best friend, Zara. She’s dead I’ll never see her again. I’m blessed it could’ve been me.