The Girl in the Mirror | Teen Ink

The Girl in the Mirror

By R.D.Bookworm SILVER, Moundsview, Minnesota
R.D.Bookworm SILVER, Moundsview, Minnesota

I stepped into the dusty room, the floor creaking with every step. My hand reached for the door knob, shaking like a leaf in the wind. Slowly I twisted the knob and the door opened. Long ago my parents locked her away to protect me from her icy grip. She’s waiting for me now. She has been calling for me to look upon her face once more.

I walk over to her. She sits in the corner sheet covering her silent, completely silent. I suck in a deep breath. ‘Don’t be a coward!  It’s not sensible and pathetic to be scared of such things! You can do this! Just one glance and she’ll leave you alone.’ I thought to myself. Carefully I grabbed the sheet and yanked it off. The silver rim sparkled in the dim light appearing the same as it was as it had when I first saw it.  

I looked into the mirror, but she was too blurry to see behind all of the dust. Taking the corner of the sheet I wiped away the dust. I looked into the mirror preparing myself to see her horrible face, but she wasn’t there. Instead I saw myself, my long hair, bright blue eyes, and a smile that slowly crept across my face. The figure shifted slightly in the mirror and I began to realize that I had celebrated too soon.

“Hello Liz.” she whispered to me. I tried to turn around and flee, but she of course had planned that. She smiled showing her shark like teeth. I was unable to move, forced to look into her dark endless eyes. Her claw like hand reached out towards me to pull me into the mirror. “No!” I shouted as I flung my fist smashing into her face. She in return let out a ear piercing wail which soon blended into my own screams. 

Once my throat was too dry to scream any more I realized it was over. It was finally all over! I was free! Without the mirror she wouldn’t be able to get me. Standing up I walked out of the room. Wow, have I got a story to tell my parents when they get back home! With a skip in my step I went into the kitchen to get myself a glass of water.

I watched the cold clear liquid as I poured it into the glass. Glancing into the cup I gasped. There she was again! The girl from the mirror! Slowly as if time had stopped the glass fell and shattered into a million pieces. A Cheshire grin spread quickly across her face. ¨Hello again Liz. I missed you, it's been so lonely here with no one to talk to and all.¨ said the girl in the mirror sweetness dripping from her words. She reached out and grabbed my wrist pulling me into her world. There really was no escape. Tears raced down my cheeks as I silently cried. Everything seemed to move in slow motion as I fell through the glass the girl's way too sugar coated voice drifting around me. She smiled her sociopathic smile. ¨I want to go home.¨ I whispered. ¨Nonsense! You'll grow to like it here. In fact we'll be friends! Best friends forever!¨ her smile grew (if that's even possible).