Journal Red | Teen Ink

Journal Red

October 5, 2014
By aepets GOLD, Rochester, New York
aepets GOLD, Rochester, New York
13 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
The lion fell in love with a lamb


Dear Journal,                                                                                             Age 13  2877
My parents used to talk about freedom, now all they talk about is nothing.  Nothing, is their new word for government.  The power of the demons.  The demons came into control and stripped every supernatural creature of their rights.  Now we cannot intermix, my parents say.  We are stuck with our kind.  I don’t even understand what our kind is.  My parents say we are creatures of the night, which means vampires but the government calls us the blood suckers.  I can’t remember the last time I was called my name by somebody else beside my parents.  All I want is for somebody to say Red and not blood sucker or stupid vamp.
   I remember when I was little, I used to play with werewolves, fairies, witches, and the shadowhunters.  But now, I can’t even talk to them unless I want to be punished or worse killed.  The government made sure that all the supernatural creatures are fixed together in one little small box.  The government calls these little small boxes town, I call them hell.  I have no freedom.  I am watched 24/7.  I can’t even go to bathroom without a stupid camera in my house watching me.  My parents say that the government watched us, so we don’t talk to anybody else but our own kind.  The government doesn’t want all the supernatural creatures to start to plan a rebellion.  I wish somebody would.  I wish somebody would fight for our freedom.         


Dear Journal,                                                                                 Age 16    2880
It has been three years, since I first wrote in you and I am sorry a lot has happened in three years.  I am confined to a small white room, that most likely has about three dozen locks on the door.  This is what I like to call a prison but the government says that it is not.  This place is just for special people like you.  What they mean is that you are in here because we think you are about to start a rebellion against us.  Which is true but they don’t know that.  I want to rebel and I was just about to before a guy in this bright red suit and a shine badge in his hand a gun on his right hip came and took me away from my aunt.  Yes my aunt.  My parents a year or two ago, I don’t remember how long, were leading a rebellion and they were never seen again.  Well that is what the annoying stupid government keeps telling me.  Like I am stupid.  I know the government most likely took my parents and let them burn in the sun and the government most likely laughed as my parents bursted into flames.   Well I am their daughter and the government thinks I want revenge and they are so right.  I want revenge and I will get it.  One way or another.
Dear Journal,
I know I just wrote in you yesterday but I need somewhere to write about the pain that this place they call hell is causing me.  Just after I finished writing in you last night, a guard came to my cell and by my hair dragged me to this empty room.  As he opened the door, he picks me up and throws me on the ground and starts yelling and screaming at me. I think it is a he, but I don’t know, he start saying that I need to start to spill about the rebellion that is about to happen.  I tell him “Yeah in your dreams.”  He looks at me with this demon filled monster eyes and slaps me right across the face.
“You think you are so smart.  You are just a stupid blood sucker who thinks she can win against the government.  You better tell me where all the other rebels are hiding or I will love to send them your head as a warning.”  Yeah and he is calling me the stupid one.
“First of all my name is not you or stupid blood sucker, it is Red and second, you won’t send them my head because you need me for information and without me, you have nothing.  So I have no idea why you are calling  me stupid?”
With that smart comment, I was nailed into a wall and kicked in the stomach and stabbed with a wooden stake in the leg and arms.  After the stabbing, he throw me back in he in my hell hole.  The government thinks they can break me with physical, mental, and emotionally abuse but trust me they don’t know who they are dealing with.
Dear Journal,
My best most accurate guess, is that I have not written in you for about a week.  Without a window in this small black hole, they call a cell I cannot tell when night and when day is.  All I know for sure know is that my cell is only black, and nothing else.  I wish I could see color again.  I wish I could drink blood from the veins and not from a cup.  I wish I could move my legs and my mouth, to scream help. I wish somebody would answer my letters that are hidden in my room and come and save me.  I wrote those letters, so people know where to find me but I guess nobody cares that their leader is close enough to dead than she already is.  But I cannot show any fear.  Fear show vulnerability  and that means that the government is close to cracking up the safe of information.
Dear Journal,
Maybe writing to you is a miracle or something but somebody from the rebellion answered my prayers.  Today there was a new guard to take me to regular torture class.  He looked almost like a vampire and he had these crystal blue eyes, just like my friend back home had.  He was walking me to my class and instead of dragging me, I was a loud to use my own two feet. But the weirdest thing was that we went to a different room and here is the weirdest thing, it was not a cell or a box, it was a room.  The guard you could say was maybe a rookie of some sort because he undid my cuffs that I need to where as I leave my cell.  Maybe he was new or not but I really did not care.  As soon as the cuffs were off, my fist connected with his jaw, my legs connected with his stomach.
“Hold the fire, Red.  It is just me.”  Now for a second was confused.  Is this guard really trying to be one of my rebellion friends.  I am not stupid, not even close.  I just raised my hand to punch him again before I could he said,
“Red it is me, Dalton.  I read your letters.  The ones in all code.  The one saying that, and I quote “I am being taken.  The government is taking me.  If you find and decode this letter, then you will know where to find me.  I am in the government building.  Please come and save me.”
“Dalton.”  I was so shocked and happy but also scared.
“What the hell are you doing?  You could have been killed, if they had seen you.”  Maybe I was being a bit of a drama queen but really Dalton!!!  He was the last person I wanted to save me.  We dated awhile back but then something happened and it ended and I have hated him ever since.
“I thought you would be more happy to see me, since you wanted to be save.”
“How long have I been gone for.”
“Well let’s see.  I think around a year to a year and a half.”
“I been gone that long.”  I was surprised.  But I remember being knocked out and then waking up and the same thing.
“Yeah remember we were out hunting for food and you saw like this light and you walked to it and it was the last time anybody saw you.”
I still didn’t remember anything.  I was so scared.  I was a gone a year.  I have been writing done all my fears but maybe i should really try to write about how and when I got here.
“If you came to save me, you must have a way out of this hell hole?”
“Well Red, I do and it is something you will not like.”
“Why wouldn’t I like the idea?”
“Because you will have to be dragged out by me in handcuffs and with a blindfold and a rag over your mouth, so it looks like I am transferring you someplace else.”  Great being dragged and handcuff out of this place by my ex boyfriend is totally worse this place.
Dear Journal,
Sorry I couldn’t finish writing about yesterday.  As I was writing, a guard came to the door and I had to hide you.  If they found my journal, they would know all the secrets that I have kept and the rebellion will be destroyed.
I am scared about what will happen today.  Dalton said nothing will go wrong.  But what if something does go wrong?  What if today is the day I die?  What if today is the day that i finally get to see my parents?  What if?  What if?  That is all I have been thinking about for the last 12 hours.  I don’t want to die.  I want to live and be able to see the world as it used to be.  I want to be able to sit on a bench and not have to worry about if the person next to me is a werewolf or a fairy.  I want to be able to sit next to any creature in this world and not have to worry about being killed.  I want to be called by my name.  I just want this world that everybody lives in to be peaceful and not full of fear.  I want to love who I want, be friends with who  I want, wear what I want.  I just want to be able to not live in fear.  Maybe if this plan works and maybe if I get of this place alive, just maybe the rebellion has a chance to change the government and give creatures their freedom back.
Dear Journal,                                                            
Well if I am writing in you, then I must not be dead.  Well I hope I am not writing in you as a ghost because that would honestly be weird.  But I am not a ghost, so I must be alive.
I am surprised to say that Dalton’s plan worked.  We got of that hell hole alive and untouched.  Nobody notice.  Nobody cared.  They all thought that Dalton was taking me, to be burned.  Nobody realized that he was not a demon.  I must give him some credit, but his ego is big enough.
The fresh air for the first time in a year and a half felt like heaven on my skin.  I could breath fresh air.  My hair shimmered in the pale sky.  I could touch the dew on the green grass. I could smell the nature and all the beauty around me.  I could bath in the hottest water.  I could finally drink blood out of a fresh vein.  But then I opened my eyes and there was none of that.  No beauty, no smell, no nature.  There was just darkness and ashes everywhere.
“Dalton, what happened here?”
“The demons, they wanted to show the world a lesson.  They wanted to show their power.”
“WHAT DID THEY DO,”  I was screaming and crying but all that was in my heart was pain.
“Red, after you were taken and every time you didn’t give them an answer or any information, the demons they , they.”
“They did what Dalton.”
“They burned down all the trees and they would go to each creatures box and kill burn them with fire.  The demons have been killing people with fire.  They wanted the creatures to know that they have a vampire rebel who wouldn’t give up information.  So to show that, they started to burn everything, every time you didn’t give them any information.”
Dear Journal,
I am sorry again.  I passed out again after I wrote what the demons did to the people.  It was my fault that all those creatures died.  My fault.  I am a worthless, selfish vampire who would do anything to save herself and not the creatures around her.  I been wondering how many children died from my stubbornness.  How many innocent lives  were taken.  All their deaths are on me.
After Dalton saved me, he took me to the old base for the rebellion group.  Everybody that was there in the beginning, was standing in front of me.  All of them.  I felt like a sword was just taken out of my heart.  None of those creatures died.  My friends, my family were still all there.
“You are all alive.  I thought you were all dead.  I thought every day that the government would come into my cell and show me your decapitated head.  I was so scared and afraid.”
My best friend Andy spoke, “ We have been learning all about the governments plan.  We have recruited insiders and they have been working closely with the government.  They feed us information and we give them hope that the government will end soon.”
“Wait, if you had insiders, you knew where I was and you knew that if you rescued me that I would tell you that trusting people on the inside was a bad idea and I would have stopped it.”
“Of course we knew where you were and of course we knew you would hate the idea but we have gotten a lot done in the month that you were gone.”
“What?  A month. Dalton told me a year,”  Anger was flying out of me like a hive of bees.
“No, you have been gone a month and in that month we have a plan to stop the government.’’
“You are all so stupid.  Tell me your great idea.”
“Well from what we know the government security is weak on the left side of the castle.  If we enter from that side, we will have a less chance of getting caught.  When we enter the castle on that side, there will be about 5 guards compared to 30 on the right side.  After we fight of those guards and shut down the security system, we should have enough time to make it to the main government building and kill them,”  Andy sounded so proud of himself but I feel like in the mood to burst his big bubble of an ego.
“Oh Andy if only you were smarter.  First of all on the left side if there are less guards outside there are more guards inside.  You best bet is to go on the right side and with guns filled with demon poison, kill the guards on the outside.  After you do that, we split into teams of 10.  10 fight the guards in the inside. 10 shut down the security system and the rest go and take over the government building.  Just because I have not been here for a month does not mean I have not been planning.  In this journal, I have everything planned out.  You think just because I was locked in a cell, you thought I was worthless and I had given up.  I didn’t and you must really be stupid if you think that I gave up without a fight.”  With that I slapped him right across the month.
“Now anybody else have any ideas they like to share about how to take over the government.”  Everybody was silent.  I missed being in control.  I want the power.  I have the power and my rebellion group thinks that they can outsmart me.
Dear Journal,
Today is the day of the rebellion.  Today may be the last day I write in you.  I wanted to write this down so if somebody ever reads this, they know that you, this book full of blank pages got me through everything.  You kept my darkest secrets safe.  You kept me safe.  If I did not write in you, I think my soul would have died in that hell hole.  I need somebody to if I die today, to write in you and write about what happen with the rebellion and what happen to me if I die. Also if I do die, write about what happen after the rebellion.  Write about us someday.  Write about the rebellion that didn’t give up.  Write about me and how I never gave up. Write about how my whole team never gave up.  Apologize to Andy for me.  I should have not slapped him in the face.  Just today if I die, write about how my soul left this place happy knowing I died for the creatures that died.  I hope I get to write in you tomorrow.  My all my thanks go to you and to the people who helped me.  Goodbye until next time
Dear Journal,
I am writing to you three days after the rebellion took place.  I don’t know what to say but all I know I can say is that we won and that the demons are gone.  I understand that you are special.  I wanted to say thank you personally for keeping the rebellion plans safe and sound.  Thank you for keeping everybody alive.
The rebellion didn’t go as plan.  Only two died but the worst thing was that the demons knew we were coming.  Somebody told them that we were attacking today.  But the demons didn’t realize that we had more manpower and more weapons than ever.  But there is worse news than that.  I wanted to write that I do forgive you Red for slapping me.  I forgive you for everything but I also wanted to say thank you for everything that you did.  You fought for us when nobody else did.  I wanted to say thank you for giving us hope.  You were the best leader and the best friend.
I wish I didn’t have to write this done in a journal.  I wish I could tell you face to face.  Everybody is okay.  Dalton is fine.  He just has a bump on his head.  I wish I could say the same for you.  We don’t know where you are.  We know you aren’t dead but you vanished into thin air.  You were there one minute and the next you were gone.   I had a feeling I would not see you after the battle.  I knew you were going to chase down the demon ruler who killed your parents.  I know you to well.  But when you do come back, I want you to know that we all love you and if the next day this journal is gone, I know you are okay.
If you need any support, please call us.  We are your family.  We are safe and today for the first time, the sun was out and shining on the new world.  The world that now smiles.  The world that does not live in fear anymore.  The world is no peaceful, thanks to you.
I want you to know, that you will see family again.  You parents are not dead.  They are alive and they are waiting for you to save them.  You are brave and smart.  Thank you for stopping the government and thank you for being my friend.
Wherever you are in is world, I love you and I want you to know that I am thankful.
Please be safe and please tell me that you are okay.
                 Love your best friend and family,
                            Andy
 


The author's comments:

Just tell me what you think.