A Wish For Her This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

“Is that her?”
“What? Who?”
“Shh … here she comes.”

“Oh … her.”

We avert our eyes as she walks by. We clutch our books tightly to our chests, stare down at our sneakers, and hold our breath as she passes. Whispers follow her like shadows as she scurries up the stone stairs, through the metal doors. Lisa and I exchange looks. The bell rings in our ears, and we head inside.

“Who’s she with today?” Lisa asks at lunch.

“Toby,” I scoff, biting into my ­sandwich.

“Figures. Apparently they had a great time at Jack’s apartment last weekend.” I make a face.

“Disgusting.” Lisa laughs.

“I bet she has all sorts of diseases.”

“I bet she’s wearing his sweatshirt. The one that smells as bad as he does.”

“I bet she’s gonna be one of those girls who never goes to college and ends up on the street.”

“I bet she’s gonna be a …” I look around to make sure no teachers are listening, “whore.”

That’s her new name. It spreads like a foul disease around the school, through the hallways, passed from one lip-gloss-smeared mouth to the next. Some kids just call her “The W,” or “The H” for the stupid ones who can’t spell. It’s what she is. It’s who she is. And none of us like her. None except Toby and Mitchell and all those guys who are too dumb to see her for who she really is. We see her kissing guys in the alley after school each day, like she doesn’t even care, like she doesn’t even know.

Don’t worry, we’re gonna make her realize who she really is. We’re gonna make her feel so bad she’ll shrink like a little mouse and learn her lesson and stay away from all of them, especially Devin, who liked me all of sixth grade ’til she stole him last summer.

We isolate her. We don’t speak to her, not even when she asks what the homework for last night was. Find it out yourself, stupid. We leave notes in her locker, and we snicker as she walks by.

Have you learned your lesson yet, princess? Are you ever gonna stop wearing so much lipstick and eyeliner and skirts that are way too short? Are you ever gonna put out that cigarette or throw out those bottles? You’re 13 – what’s wrong with you? Didn’t your parents ever teach you what’s right and wrong? Half the grade hates you. Sticks and stones, you say, but soon it’ll be real. I will smash up your pretty face if I have to. I’ll break your bones. I could snap your neck over my knee.

***

I walk home from Lisa’s house, and I take the long way because I want to look at the moon and the stars. I want to cross the cornfield, because once I saw a shooting star. I have to walk through the sketchy neighborhood to get there, though, but I should be okay if I hurry.

Suddenly, I hear a man’s voice ­coming from one of the houses, the one with the shingles falling off and the rusty car in the driveway. He is yelling. I rush behind a tree, heart ­racing so loud I’m sure he can hear. Suddenly I see a familiar figure. It’s her. She and the man are yelling at each other. He lashes out at her, and I wince. I can hear the slap.

And then the door closes. She is alone, and she sits on her porch steps. And she cries. I’ve never seen her cry before. Alone, with no boys, out in the cold night, crying, crying, crying so hard she can’t breathe. Her tears make ugly black lines down her face. And suddenly, she looks up, and our eyes lock. I run.

I run past the houses and the deli and the gas station with the creepy owner, and the ice cream store where we get really great slushies. I cross the street, my heart racing, out of breath and into the lush grass of the cornfield. I collapse on the ground, my arms and legs spread apart, trying to catch my breath and hold back the tears, though I can’t understand why they’re coming.

She was so alone. So sad. She is loved by no one but those boys. And I’m not sure they even really love her.

Suddenly I look up and see something sparkle across the indigo sky, a little explosion of white like a firecracker on the Fourth. I close my eyes.

And I wish for her.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the January 2009 Teen Ink Fiction Contest.

shamrocks12 said...
This is great! I really love how real it feels. I mean I know I have been in a similar situation before, and reading this brought those same feelings forward. Excellent job!

WillowFalls This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Okay, I hate to sound really cheesy, but you just made me cry. I'm not even exagerrating, I'm honestly crying.

Jenns_Ink said...
I love it. Very Inspiring. 

fdsssssss said...
this is a stupit poem

EmilyMichelle This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...

First of all, *stupid, second, it's not a poem, and third, that's not very nice please, keep your criticism constructive.

To the author: I quite liked this. It was very relatable. You probably could have expanded some and written a little more but it was wonderful. I think that it sums up pretty well what people need to take into consideration: don't judge people because you don't know what's going on behind their mask. I see this problem A LOT at school. Nice job!

LiveInTheMoment said...
Wow, this was really powerful and moving. You really established a strong bond between the reader and the characters. Great work! If you have time, please check out and comment on my poem, The Girl Inside. Thanks!

mrs.packman123 said...
Apr. 15, 2011 at 11:43 am
keep going add more to it i want to know what happens to her

Betaboo said...
Apr. 15, 2011 at 11:06 am
great story, one of the best shorts i have read, powerful, well done :)

Jaybug said...
Apr. 15, 2011 at 8:03 am
I really liked this especially the ending! Keep up the good work.

AlyseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
It was amazing! I really liked it. Well done. :)

Behind_Blue_EyesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...

great word choice.

the peice really makes u stop and think about why people act the way they do. its really powerful. Good job!

remembermeplz said...

Wow amazing!!

It made me cry =)very touching and the story line is perfect.

DaBritt3 said...
Mar. 24, 2011 at 8:39 am
This is so powerful and the word choice was amazing and made the story pop. I really like this.

ghostwolf said...
Mar. 16, 2011 at 8:42 am
this is great! not many people think why some one dose something. It's a great reminder!

Sandra said...
Mar. 15, 2011 at 9:27 am
Liked word choice interesting and powerful

bobhot6 said...
Powerful. Your rhetorical skills got the story across beautifully. I wish for myself; one day, I'll hopefully be able to write something like this.

domin0 said...

why did you write about this?

Its very good

PiaHainzCiavelli said...
wow...love how the characters personna changes..

htrae22 said...
this was really sad but very well  written

amzazinLily said...
wow, this was painful to read. This happened last year with one of my enemies. I felt so bad for her and realized it wasnt right for me to hate her...it wasnt like i tryed to be nice to her. I just didnt hate her and talk about her...