A Wish For Her | Teen Ink

A Wish For Her MAG

“Is that her?”
“What? Who?”
“Shh … here she comes.”

“Oh … her.”

We avert our eyes as she walks by. We clutch our books tightly to our chests, stare down at our sneakers, and hold our breath as she passes. Whispers follow her like shadows as she scurries up the stone stairs, through the metal doors. Lisa and I exchange looks. The bell rings in our ears, and we head inside.

“Who’s she with today?” Lisa asks at lunch.

“Toby,” I scoff, biting into my ­sandwich.

“Figures. Apparently they had a great time at Jack’s apartment last weekend.” I make a face.

“Disgusting.” Lisa laughs.

“I bet she has all sorts of diseases.”

“I bet she’s wearing his sweatshirt. The one that smells as bad as he does.”

“I bet she’s gonna be one of those girls who never goes to college and ends up on the street.”

“I bet she’s gonna be a …” I look around to make sure no teachers are listening, “whore.”

That’s her new name. It spreads like a foul disease around the school, through the hallways, passed from one lip-gloss-smeared mouth to the next. Some kids just call her “The W,” or “The H” for the stupid ones who can’t spell. It’s what she is. It’s who she is. And none of us like her. None except Toby and Mitchell and all those guys who are too dumb to see her for who she really is. We see her kissing guys in the alley after school each day, like she doesn’t even care, like she doesn’t even know.

Don’t worry, we’re gonna make her realize who she really is. We’re gonna make her feel so bad she’ll shrink like a little mouse and learn her lesson and stay away from all of them, especially Devin, who liked me all of sixth grade ’til she stole him last summer.

We isolate her. We don’t speak to her, not even when she asks what the homework for last night was. Find it out yourself, stupid. We leave notes in her locker, and we snicker as she walks by.

Have you learned your lesson yet, princess? Are you ever gonna stop wearing so much lipstick and eyeliner and skirts that are way too short? Are you ever gonna put out that cigarette or throw out those bottles? You’re 13 – what’s wrong with you? Didn’t your parents ever teach you what’s right and wrong? Half the grade hates you. Sticks and stones, you say, but soon it’ll be real. I will smash up your pretty face if I have to. I’ll break your bones. I could snap your neck over my knee.

***

I walk home from Lisa’s house, and I take the long way because I want to look at the moon and the stars. I want to cross the cornfield, because once I saw a shooting star. I have to walk through the sketchy neighborhood to get there, though, but I should be okay if I hurry.

Suddenly, I hear a man’s voice ­coming from one of the houses, the one with the shingles falling off and the rusty car in the driveway. He is yelling. I rush behind a tree, heart ­racing so loud I’m sure he can hear. Suddenly I see a familiar figure. It’s her. She and the man are yelling at each other. He lashes out at her, and I wince. I can hear the slap.

And then the door closes. She is alone, and she sits on her porch steps. And she cries. I’ve never seen her cry before. Alone, with no boys, out in the cold night, crying, crying, crying so hard she can’t breathe. Her tears make ugly black lines down her face. And suddenly, she looks up, and our eyes lock. I run.

I run past the houses and the deli and the gas station with the creepy owner, and the ice cream store where we get really great slushies. I cross the street, my heart racing, out of breath and into the lush grass of the cornfield. I collapse on the ground, my arms and legs spread apart, trying to catch my breath and hold back the tears, though I can’t understand why they’re coming.

She was so alone. So sad. She is loved by no one but those boys. And I’m not sure they even really love her.

Suddenly I look up and see something sparkle across the indigo sky, a little explosion of white like a firecracker on the Fourth. I close my eyes.

And I wish for her.

on May. 23 2009 at 2:33 am
tigeress3 PLATINUM, Dayton, Ohio
Wonderful. It's always good to put aside hatered and open up to someone.

LoveLikeWoe DIAMOND, LeSueur, MN, Minnesota

Whoever laughs first has the sickest mind.

Oh wow. This is really amazing. I've never read something like this and CRIED but, you made my day. I lOVE this story!

bookhugger14 SILVER, Delta, Ohio
omg that was AMAZING... it sounded so real and wow. i definately know what you mean and the details are very good!!! keep it up :)

*LunaNight* GOLD, Staten Island, New York
it was so real. evryone knows a W, andjudge them. we never really know what happens behind closed doors.

airoseee said...
airoseee, Farmington, Connecticut
i really love this. it was so powerful and you got that across in not so many words. keep it up :)

Anjo! SILVER said...
on May. 18 2009 at 6:05 am
Anjo! SILVER, Roseburg, Oregon
OH MY GOSH!! this is so beautiful its making me cry.. keep writing.. i hope you become a author some day.. and some day i hope i come across one of your books.. you should write one, seriously.. i know when i see talent. and thats it baby! wow...

camille_1441 PLATINUM, Westerville, Ohio
your peice was very beautiful, the message is so profound and meaningful and it makes you think about the "hers" that you know in your own life and about how you never know what goes on behind closed doors.

Great job! =)

on May. 6 2009 at 5:16 am
broadwaybound, New York City, New York
I just have to tell you-

I love this story. I wrote something along the lines of this once, but I think you summed up what you were trying to get across in this story quite nicely. May I say it again, I loved this story.

Excellent job. :)

That was a long scroll to the bottom. Like everyone who commented, BEAUTIFUL!!! Amazing and it looked like very little effort. Absolutely brillian!

Firefly said...
on May. 4 2009 at 1:56 am
this is an amzaing read i loved it

Abbyy GOLD said...
Abbyy GOLD, Shanghai, Other
I really enjoyed your story. It was brilliant! Your writing is so inspirational and conveys such a deep message.

on Apr. 18 2009 at 4:59 am
kumiko-chan SILVER, Moreno Valley, California
wow that was so sad, great writing!

AliceCullen94 BRONZE, Bronx, New York
wow. that was a really great story. what makes it really great is that it's based on what girls go through today. the girls we thing are loose are really confused girls whose paraents don't treat them well so they try to find love else where. I have a friend whose like that so Iknow.

kepp up the good work girl ;)

horseluva BRONZE, Midlothian, Virginia
amazing!!!!=-)

LilJ<3 GOLD said...
on Apr. 9 2009 at 1:59 am
LilJ<3 GOLD, Gloucester, Virginia
Emily, You have a beautiful way of writting. You capture emotion and human nature in your writing. You wrote about a situation and concept that happens everyday. Peope realize that others arent who we really think they are and we dont get to know them until they are really alone and we learn about their home life. I dont think you realize that you have written more than just a fictional story here, but a reminder to people that we shouldnt just jump to conclusions about one another. We need to respect everyone and be kind to everyone no matter who they are and what mistakes they have made along with the image they give off. GREAT JOB. KEEP WRITING. You have so much potential.

♥ Jackie

Asho said...
This was such a beautiful story. [I'm not trying to say I'm perfect in the least but] this helps back up what I've been saying a while: You never ever know what people have to go through. This was so very beautiful and wonderfully written. Amazing job.

on Apr. 4 2009 at 12:13 am
RainWashed PLATINUM, Park City, Utah

"Repeat the good and the bad. Do it all again. And pile on the years."

You write very well and this story feels like you're really in it. You do emotions really well so it feels like the person is there with you and crying beside you. You should consider summiting more!

Jaclyn Geffert BRONZE, Huntley, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
WOW this is so amazing!! 0_0 its so beautifully written!

LBren said...
on Apr. 1 2009 at 12:54 am
This writing is amazing- And oh so TRUE! I think all of us have a bit of this girl inside us. Searching for someone, anyone, to give us that glimpse of attention, that glimpse of hope.

strawberryfields0122, Holmdel, New Jersey
This is a great story and very truthful. i liked it a lot. :)