A Wish For Her | Teen Ink

A Wish For Her MAG

“Is that her?”
“What? Who?”
“Shh … here she comes.”

“Oh … her.”

We avert our eyes as she walks by. We clutch our books tightly to our chests, stare down at our sneakers, and hold our breath as she passes. Whispers follow her like shadows as she scurries up the stone stairs, through the metal doors. Lisa and I exchange looks. The bell rings in our ears, and we head inside.

“Who’s she with today?” Lisa asks at lunch.

“Toby,” I scoff, biting into my ­sandwich.

“Figures. Apparently they had a great time at Jack’s apartment last weekend.” I make a face.

“Disgusting.” Lisa laughs.

“I bet she has all sorts of diseases.”

“I bet she’s wearing his sweatshirt. The one that smells as bad as he does.”

“I bet she’s gonna be one of those girls who never goes to college and ends up on the street.”

“I bet she’s gonna be a …” I look around to make sure no teachers are listening, “whore.”

That’s her new name. It spreads like a foul disease around the school, through the hallways, passed from one lip-gloss-smeared mouth to the next. Some kids just call her “The W,” or “The H” for the stupid ones who can’t spell. It’s what she is. It’s who she is. And none of us like her. None except Toby and Mitchell and all those guys who are too dumb to see her for who she really is. We see her kissing guys in the alley after school each day, like she doesn’t even care, like she doesn’t even know.

Don’t worry, we’re gonna make her realize who she really is. We’re gonna make her feel so bad she’ll shrink like a little mouse and learn her lesson and stay away from all of them, especially Devin, who liked me all of sixth grade ’til she stole him last summer.

We isolate her. We don’t speak to her, not even when she asks what the homework for last night was. Find it out yourself, stupid. We leave notes in her locker, and we snicker as she walks by.

Have you learned your lesson yet, princess? Are you ever gonna stop wearing so much lipstick and eyeliner and skirts that are way too short? Are you ever gonna put out that cigarette or throw out those bottles? You’re 13 – what’s wrong with you? Didn’t your parents ever teach you what’s right and wrong? Half the grade hates you. Sticks and stones, you say, but soon it’ll be real. I will smash up your pretty face if I have to. I’ll break your bones. I could snap your neck over my knee.

***

I walk home from Lisa’s house, and I take the long way because I want to look at the moon and the stars. I want to cross the cornfield, because once I saw a shooting star. I have to walk through the sketchy neighborhood to get there, though, but I should be okay if I hurry.

Suddenly, I hear a man’s voice ­coming from one of the houses, the one with the shingles falling off and the rusty car in the driveway. He is yelling. I rush behind a tree, heart ­racing so loud I’m sure he can hear. Suddenly I see a familiar figure. It’s her. She and the man are yelling at each other. He lashes out at her, and I wince. I can hear the slap.

And then the door closes. She is alone, and she sits on her porch steps. And she cries. I’ve never seen her cry before. Alone, with no boys, out in the cold night, crying, crying, crying so hard she can’t breathe. Her tears make ugly black lines down her face. And suddenly, she looks up, and our eyes lock. I run.

I run past the houses and the deli and the gas station with the creepy owner, and the ice cream store where we get really great slushies. I cross the street, my heart racing, out of breath and into the lush grass of the cornfield. I collapse on the ground, my arms and legs spread apart, trying to catch my breath and hold back the tears, though I can’t understand why they’re coming.

She was so alone. So sad. She is loved by no one but those boys. And I’m not sure they even really love her.

Suddenly I look up and see something sparkle across the indigo sky, a little explosion of white like a firecracker on the Fourth. I close my eyes.

And I wish for her.

on Jan. 27 2010 at 10:53 am
AmazingGrace88 GOLD, Lake Oswego, Oregon

No boys are worth your tears,
and the ones who are wont make you cry.

wow that was really good, i could totally feel the emotion keep it upi :)

on Jan. 24 2010 at 9:00 am
BeckoningLovely GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware

"I think our favorite quotes say more about us than the people we are quoting," John Green

Can I get a SEQUEL?!

on Jan. 21 2010 at 5:36 pm
VampiericRain GOLD, Amarillo, Texas

Would you like a side of epic with that fail?

Oh my gosh. That is amazing beyond all reason. It made me want to cry.

on Jan. 19 2010 at 12:27 am
ElizabethBlack PLATINUM, St. Louis, Missouri
This was beautiful, and almost made my cry. Here is proof that just a few words can create a masterpiece.

on Jan. 18 2010 at 9:28 pm
hello.beautiful PLATINUM, New York, New York

Look at the nations and watch— and be utterly amazed. For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe, even if you were told. -Habakkuk 1:5

i Love this :) great job, i love your style.

ponysyd BRONZE said...
on Jan. 12 2010 at 12:27 pm
ponysyd BRONZE, Morrisville, Vermont
This is so great! Very well written and I'm sure lots of girls can connect.

on Jan. 9 2010 at 6:33 pm
TheUnknownIsBliss GOLD, East Patchogue, New York

I would like to stay out of the box we call "normal".

Beautiful work. This sounds like what one of my friends turned into. She became the "W". It pains me to see her because she lost her friends to guys.

on Jan. 8 2010 at 10:50 pm
dancingdaisies GOLD, Westborough, Massachusetts

" you can't get what you want until you know what you want"-Joe Jackson
"Dancing is like dreaming with your feet!"-Contanze
"Why are you talking about all of these thing you're getting & nothing about what you already have?"~MMEE!!:)

thats so awful. it sounds exactly like a girl in my grade

on Jan. 8 2010 at 10:24 pm
xAllegria BRONZE, Singapore, Other

Ça fait tellement du bien d’aimer les gens qu’on aime, que ça finit par faire mal. Je sais pas comment on survit a ça. Non franchement, je sais pas. LOL (laughing out loud) ®, Lola.

Beautiful.

love.v said...
on Jan. 8 2010 at 8:41 pm
love.v, Branchburg, New Jersey
Wow this was very well written. I loved the figurtive language that you used and more then that I loved the message. I could feel the emotions pouring out of this story and it made my heart ache. I loved the last line because it was so unforgettable. Beautiful story.

Dex <3 said...
on Jan. 8 2010 at 8:39 pm
i love your story! please write more!

on Jan. 8 2010 at 6:46 pm
YoureCrazy GOLD, Loveland, Colorado

"Laugh, it keeps the world from falling apart"

this is sad... and amazing. plz write more.

zobean GOLD said...
on Jan. 8 2010 at 4:41 pm
zobean GOLD, Northfield, Massachusetts

"A Good player inspires themselves. A GREAT player inspires others."

This is such a heartwarming piece. You can really feel the emotions and you describe everything so well. What's so amazing yet horrible to admit is that this piece could have been a nonfiction story. It really captures what goes on in school and what students fail or don't care to realize.

Iraq2009 said...
on Jan. 8 2010 at 4:26 pm
Iraq2009, Wheaton, Illinois
i really love your articlie you are a wonderfull girl or a guy and you story is so good.

on Jan. 8 2010 at 12:25 pm
NVRSHOUTNVRFAN17 PLATINUM, Morrisville, Vermont

"to some i am nothing but a burden but to others i am but a miracle."

wow! i love it! i love how the one girl goes from hating her so fiercly because of her actions, to understanding her.

on Jan. 7 2010 at 8:13 pm
whisperingofdawn GOLD, Colorado City, Arizona
this is a very emotional piece. I love it. Check out my work :)

on Jan. 6 2010 at 3:10 pm
AnnaNana PLATINUM, Corinth, Mississippi

Live the way you die- All of a sudden: That's the way to go.

this was good! it shows how we only see people st school and out in town never what they acctually go through at home. i loved it.

P.S. Please check out some of my stuff. I' love to hear what you have to say.

on Jan. 4 2010 at 7:00 pm
goddess_of_the_moon_123 SILVER, Beaverdam, Virginia

'To unpath'd waters, undream'd shores' ~ William Shakespeare, A Winter's Tale

Very impressive... and this piece went straight to the heart. You captured the pain there without lapsing into cliche. I cannot wait for more!

PS Would you mind reading my article 'Strong'? I would greatly appreciate input!

on Dec. 27 2009 at 11:18 pm
fall_from_grace SILVER, Lakeside, Arizona

"Most people are other people. Their thoughts someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
(yes, I do note the irony in quoting this)

Wonderful. Although I agree with the others who say you could slow it down a bit at the beginning I hope you don't change her age. Her behavior would be more acceptable in high school, but I remember the first girl to (openly) lose her virginity in my class and, while we were not this mean to her, we were not kind. I really love your story and can't wait to read more of your writing.

on Dec. 21 2009 at 10:35 am
Make-Love-Not-War SILVER, Anson, Maine

"Tobbacco is my favorite vegetable" - Frank Zappa

this was really good but it would be more realistic if the girl was 14 or 15 and not 13.... a little too unbelievable.. i think you should do a second draft for this and slow down on the beginning... but in all this was very good