Alone | Teen Ink

Alone

August 19, 2014
By unwrittenlove DIAMOND, Mount Berry, Georgia
unwrittenlove DIAMOND, Mount Berry, Georgia
61 articles 11 photos 153 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, its yours forever. If it dosent, then it was never meant to be" -anonymous


“You have got to be kidding me!” 

 

I wince at his harsh tone and take a step back. He runs a shaky hand through his shaggy hair and shoots me a sideways glare. I frown and reach a hand out towards him. He moves out of my reach and I blink up at him.

 

“Get rid of it,” he whispers in a ragged voice. A shock rushes through my body and I instinctively clutch my stomach.

 

“What did you just say?” I mutter. He finally turns and faces me full on.

 

“Get. Rid. Of. It.” 

 

“How dare you?” I accuse. “How could you say something like that about...about our...”

 

“See, Brit? You can’t even say the word.” He pauses and lets out a string of curses. “How could you have let this happen?”

 

“So, it’s my fault I’m pregnant?” I reply, my voice rising an octave. “You were the one who didn’t want to use protection!”

 

“You should be on the pill!” 

 

“I’m fifteen years old, Asher. Why would I be on the pill at fifteen years?” I throw up my hands in exasperation.

 

“You should be on the pill because we were having sex!” he shoots back. I cross my arms over my chest defiantly. 

 

“You still can’t blame it all on me,” I say. Asher groans.

 

“Brit, I swear to God, get rid of it or--”

 

“Or what, Asher?” I mock. Fire burns brightly in his dark eyes and for a moment I’m terrified of what power he holds over me.

 

“Or we’re through,” he finishes. And I thought this couldn’t get any more surprising.

 

“Are you serious?” I ask.

 

“Dead serious. Get rid of it or we’re done. I can’t have a child at sixteen, Brit. I’m on the varsity soccer team. I’ve got college scouts coming to look at me. That’s unheard of for a high school sophomore. I can’t let anything distract me,” he explains, the threatening tone never leaving his voice.

“Then I guess I won’t be a distraction for you anymore,” I murmur, letting the threatening tears slip down my cheeks. I swallow a sob and turn to get into my car.

 

“Babe, it doesn’t have to be like this. Just get rid of it and--”

 

“It?” I cut him off, turning around and getting into his face. “Stop calling our baby an it, Asher. There is a human being inside of me. He or she is not an ‘it’.”

 

I lean back and shake my head solemnly. He locks his jaw and refuses to look at me.

 

“I guess this is it, then,” he says. I shrug.

 

“Goodbye, Asher,” I whisper before getting in my car and driving away.

 

----------------------------------------

 

Back at home, I am still trying to find a way to tell my parents. I stand in front of the mirror in my bathroom and take off my shirt. I’m already starting to show a very small bump, though I always wore baggy clothing so you couldn’t tell. As I run my hands over my barely there bump, I hear a gasp. I turn to see my mom standing in the door frame, a look of horror on her face.

 

“Mom, I can explain,” I say quickly. She chokes out a sob, shaking her head.

 

“Please tell me that’s not what I think it is,” she murmurs. I frown and nod.

 

“Mom, I--”

 

“For goodness sake, Britney, please tell me you aren’t pregnant!” she interrupts me, raising her voice. For the second time today, the tears begin to flow down my cheeks. I push past her and run to my room. She is right behind me.

 

“What’s going on?” My dad rushes into the room and I notice that his eyes lock immediately onto my stomach. 

 

“Daddy,” I choke out. He puts a hand to his mouth and shakes his head. 

 

“What happened?” he asked. “Please, Brit, tell us you aren’t...that you aren’t...”

 

I nod once. My dad lets out a yell and slams his fists onto the door frame. My mom chokes out another sob. I cringe inwardly and take a step towards them. My dad looks at me, his eyes void of emotion.

 

“You are not my daughter. I want you out of this house by tonight,” he mutters and walks out of the room. I shocked cry leaves my throat. I look at my mom. She shakes her head and follows him, closing the door behind her.

 

I fall to the floor and let the sobs rack my body. 

 

“What am I going to do?” I cry out. “Oh god, what am I going to do?”