Vignette of Odysseus in the UnderWorld | Teen Ink

Vignette of Odysseus in the UnderWorld

By Westiera SILVER, Wasilla, Alaska
Westiera SILVER, Wasilla, Alaska

All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream. - Edgar Allan Poe

I watched him crouch to the soil and draw a small sword from a weathered sheath on his thigh. He proceeded with care to carve an alter from the earth. Although he reeked of death he did not belong in the realm of Hades. Two other men appeared carrying a fine ram and ewe both with fleece of purest white. I continued to watch in fascination, drawn to the scene, but I was well concealed, my form hidden by shadow to the eyes of mortal men. Soon the sweet aroma of innocent blood drew more souls to him, I myself among them. Spreading his arms he bellowed, “Oh, keepers of the underworld grant me an audience with whom I seek for the goddess Circe has sent me to you.” Soon many other approached and when this man of valor saw whom he sought he wept His head in hands. One of my fellow spirits known by the name of Anticleia came. ”Odysseus, why are you among the dead while you are still very much alive? What knowledge do you seek that you can only learn from the grave?” Odysseus! Odysseus the slayer of men, that sealed the fate of Troy, my comrade, my brother at arms. I bequeathed my vale of shadow. “Odysseus, will you not come and speak with a fellow warrior?” Being in the mix of conversation he looked toward me and said,” Oh, Elpanor what has become of you!” He again began to weep. “I have died not by human hand, but broke my neck falling from the sorceress’s towered roof. Do not greave for my death is of no consequence among the gods neither shall it be for godly men. I only ask you to return to the land of Circe and place my corpse among the ground in proper burial for I wish not my soul to linger there.”He gave a slight bow of his head crowned with unruly sea swept hair.”I shall return and give your body the proper ceremony of passage.” After conferring with other fallen Odysseus soon departed leaving the ere of tragedy and the ill favor of gods in his wake.