Yuko The Doll | Teen Ink

Yuko The Doll

June 28, 2014
By Ailsa GOLD, Marietta, Georgia
Ailsa GOLD, Marietta, Georgia
12 articles 0 photos 16 comments

Favorite Quote:
"when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth" - Arthur Conan Doyle


In a kingdom lived a toy maker and his daughter. His daughter he saw was a lonely girl and for her birthday he made her a magical doll. He named her Yuko and she was the most beautiful doll in all the land. Yuko did not know she was special but she loved the toy makers daughter and the daughter loved her. Her hair was silky pink, and long. Yuko did not know or like anything more than the toy maker and his daughter. They were all very happy.

When the daughter got a little older she wanted to tell her other friends about Yuko but the toy maker insisted that no one know about Yuko. This did not stop Yuko's curiosity however. As the daughter grew Yuko became more lonely. Suddenly the daughter had more friends and Yuko could not even play with them. Yuko decided one day to go out on her own. The people were dazzled by her. Everyone who saw her loved her. Yuko told them the toy maker made her. Although the toy maker was upset with Yuko for leaving he could not argue with the burst in business he received. The daughter and Yuko rejoiced.

Word spread across the land of the toy maker. Yuko's fame grew as did Yuko's pride. She didn't spend all of her days with the daughter anymore. She liked the fame. One day the princess came to the town.
“make me a magical doll ” the princess demanded.
“I will try” the maker said.
“I will give you a week” the princess said.
When the princess had gone the toy maker wept.
“Why do you cry?” asked Yuko.
“because I can't make another magical doll. You are the only one. We must leave this place” the toy maker said.
“leave? But people love me here. Why must we go?” Yuko asked.
“because they will take you if we don't” The toy maker said.
The toy maker began to pack but Yuko didn't like the thought. On the night they planned to leave Yuko set out to find the princess.
“Princess, the toy maker cannot make another doll I am the only one. I am tired of living with the toy maker. I want to be with you and live in a big castle where I can be praised” said Yuko.
“we will leave at once” said the Princess.

They stuffed Yuko on the finest horse and carried her through the streets of the city where the Princess lived. When they arrived at the castle Yuko was excited to explore the rooms and play with the Princess. She entered the Princesses giant play-room and ogled at the walls that were filled brim to brim with toys. For the first week the Princess gave Yuko all of her time. The Princess always had it her way and Yuko was forced to play along to her snobby will. Over time the Princess saw Yuko less and less. Yuko got weaker and weaker. After a full month of neglect Yuko became very tired and she would hardly move or talk but she would think about the toy makers daughter very often and cry.

When the princess finally came to see Yuko She shrieked in disgust. For Yuko's hair was faded its silky long locks were tangled and Yuko was laying limp on the floor like many other stuffed toys. The Princess examined Yuko. Yugo managed to smile weakly at the prospect of finally having someone to play with but the princess's nose wrinkled. She threw Yuko across the mountains of toys and Yuko landed hard on the floor. Her smile was gone and her body, ridged. The last thing she remembered was the smiling faces of the toy maker and his daughter.