The Wolf's Freedom | Teen Ink

The Wolf's Freedom

By Ailsa GOLD, Marietta, Georgia
Ailsa GOLD, Marietta, Georgia

"when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth" - Arthur Conan Doyle

The gray wolf and his pack lived in the fields of Avalon. Avalon was a long stretch of land that ended in a glass wall. In fact, all of Avalon was surrounded by thick glass. The wolves there were the only predator in Avalon and they ruled it happily. They hunted by night and slept in the day. They were alone and in bliss in this peaceful place. One day the blue wolf leader heard a message from the moon;
“Avalon is my gift to you but one day you will leave it. One day your confinement will be no more and you will be free”

When the blue wolf told this to the others some of them were happy that they would see the life beyond Avalon but others were more scared. The oldest of the pack said
“there is nothing beyond Avalon this is our home”
The blue wolf agreed.
“The moon has said one day he would free us, but until then we must not leave. Those who wish to stay can do so”

The pack agreed but years and years passed and the moon was silent. The pack started to forget the moons promise.
One young wolf did not.
“We have been across this land, we have seen every inch of it but still we stay in confinement. We must explore beyond Avalon. Have you ever wondered what was out there?” said the gray wolf
“of course” said the blue wolf “but we must be patient, the moon has not set us free”

Frustrated and trapped, the gray wolf set out on his own. He traveled to the edge of Avalon and looked through the glass. On the other side was the same beauty but the gray wolf could not see far because of a huge hill blocking his view. The wolf with all his might crashed into the glass. Easier than he anticipated the glass broke and the fragile border surrounding Avalon disappeared. Excited and feeling free at last the gray wolf bounded over the hill. He ran higher and higher until he was at the top.
He looked out at his new land with a pain in his chest.

The valley below him was a barren waste, the plants had died and withered and the animals were sick and thin. There were large beings that were butchering the weak in front of his very eyes. The land was used and stripped. What really made the gray wolfs eyes budge was the thick iron-bar fence that rose into the clouds. The wolf was frozen with fear. He looked up into the smoke filled sky and although he could see no moon he howled at his foolish mistake.