Presents from my Aunts in Pakistan-Recreation | Teen Ink

Presents from my Aunts in Pakistan-Recreation

May 18, 2014
By choc2013 GOLD, Slough, Other
choc2013 GOLD, Slough, Other
15 articles 3 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I am selfish. I am brave. I am Divergent."


Alienated, I stared at the mirror, watching my unfamiliar transformation as the miniature glass circles glinted against the sunlight. Embossed slippers, gold and black, pointed towards the ceiling while my peacock blue, salwar kameez clung to my body, as if on its way to swallow me, slowly suffocating me. My hands itched to grab my usual denim and corduroy…wearing that would at least have made me feel comfortable!

Stuck between two contrasting worlds, my confused thoughts only buzzed around my head, prodding uncomfortably. Doubt and uncertainty swirled inside me. A part of me aimlessly wandered to the distant memories of shaded rooms, beggars and sweeper girls along with the beautiful Shalimar Gardens while my school friends' contorted and disapproving frown brought me back to reality…to where I was now. As days go by, I sometimes wonder who I really am!

What am I a part of?

Along with the rush of the years, candy-striped, glass bangles and satin-silken tops slowly vanished while the peacock blue, vibrant, salwar kameez disappeared into the back of my wardrobe…that part of me hidden away for eternity.


The author's comments:
This was a recreational piece of writing that was originally a poem by Moniza Alvi. It was one of our controlled assessments for GCSE work but wasn't taken into account. It was just practice!