"The Guardian" | Teen Ink

"The Guardian"

By pprudhon GOLD, San Jose, California
pprudhon GOLD, San Jose, California

"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live."
-JK Rowling (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone)

The angel felt the sweet breath of a child on her face, the rhythm of it comforting to her. The angel hadn't seen the child all day and now she watched the child innocently sleeping, completely unaware of the fact that his angel was guarding over him.

Hopping off the night stand, the angel went to make her rounds and see that the rest of the family was okay. Walking through the darkened hallway, the angel peeked in each door to make sure her family was safe and sound. Every single family member was sleeping soundly, but the angel couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong. After double and triple checking on everyone, the angel decided that she was just being paranoid and began hopping back to her place on the little boys nightstand. Just as she was about to go through the doorway at the end of the hall, the angel saw something out of the corner of her eye. She turned and saw flames dancing across the carpet, consuming the living room.

As fast as she could, the angel hopped to the little boys room and onto his bed. Nudging him, she tried to wake him. Slowly, he came to and began to smell the smoke. He jumped up, knocking the angel over as he ran out to tell his parents. Within moments, the living room as engulfed and the flames began to lick at the kitchen.

The little angel watched as the boy's parents ran to the other two rooms, scooping up the boy's sisters, before running outside. Just as he was about to run with them, the boy glanced behind me to see the little angel standing at the end of the hall. Concern crossed his face, but the flames were already coming toward the hall, so the boy felt a year stream down his face as he ran out after his family.

The angel smiled as she felt the warmth on her back. Her family was safe. She closed her eyes and let the flames embrace her.

Olivia-Atlet ELITE, Dardenne Prairie, Missouri

"To these the past hath its phantoms,
More real than solid earth;
And to these death does not mean decay,
But only another birth"
- Isabella Banks

Aw, that makes me feel great! I have a lot of stuff, but  you don't need to reaad any of it. If your looking  for  something  long, you can read this; TeenInk.com/fiction/sci_fi_fantasy/article/695607/The-Girl-With-Ivy-Arms-20-Page-Excerpt/   Or this miniseries... TeenInk.com/forums?act=post&topic_id=17&thread_id=81511 If you want to read  something short, you can read this; TeenInk.com/fiction/realistic_fiction/article/693809/Violet/ You don't have too if you don't want too, but those  are some ok ones :)

pprudhon GOLD said...
on Aug. 6 2014 at 1:19 am
pprudhon GOLD, San Jose, California

Thank you so much for the comments you posted on my stories.  When I read them, they made me smile, like genuinely smile.  It really means a lot to me that you would read my stories and write such sweet comments about them :) if there's anything of yours that you would like me to read, please let me know.

"To these the past hath its phantoms,
More real than solid earth;
And to these death does not mean decay,
But only another birth"
- Isabella Banks

WOW. this has left me utterly speechless! GREAT job,  this mademe smile, connect, and cry! In most stories, angels don't die, so this was a very unique read with awesome touches! Keep up the great work! XD

Kestrel135 PLATINUM, Waterford, Connecticut

"Respect existence or expect resistance"

This piece was very interesting to read. The idea of there being an angel to watch over a paticular family was heartwarming and started off the story with a very relaxed mood. As things went on, and the fire started, however, tension grew. The ending was great and very emotional, but I feel that a little more description might have enhanced the experience. There were a few typos ('year' instead of tear, and 'me' instead of him) but they really didn't bother me while I read. On a whole, this was a great piece to read, and very well done!