"Harmony of Life" | Teen Ink

"Harmony of Life"

April 1, 2014
By pprudhon GOLD, San Jose, California
pprudhon GOLD, San Jose, California
10 articles 0 photos 28 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live."
-JK Rowling (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone)


Some people think of music as delicate thoughts that an artist can turn into beautiful sounds. Others can only see the mathematical pattern playing over and over again. You prefer to think of music as life; necessary, but also enjoyable. Like eating and sleeping, you often forget about it because it’s so...routine. Others don’t always understand what you mean, though. You may be sitting in class and suddenly you’ll feel the need to point out how lovely the music is today, but they will just give you a funny look because they don’t hear the music. They hear the sound of pencils brushing against paper and the click of your teachers high heels on the linoleum.
“What music?” they ask, and you realize that they don’t hear the steady beat of thirty pencils and two heels. With the tick tock of the clock and the swooshing sound of rustling papers. To you, it’s a symphony of zippers, writing, and paper. You shake your head and smile because they will never hear the harmony of life.



JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 4 comments.


pprudhon GOLD said...
on Aug. 6 2014 at 1:20 am
pprudhon GOLD, San Jose, California
10 articles 0 photos 28 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live."
-JK Rowling (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone)

Thank you so much for your comment; it really means a lot :)

on Aug. 5 2014 at 11:04 pm
Olivia-Atlet ELITE, Dardenne Prairie, Missouri
325 articles 10 photos 1165 comments

Favorite Quote:
"To these the past hath its phantoms,
More real than solid earth;
And to these death does not mean decay,
But only another birth"
- Isabella Banks

How is this NOT printed in the magazine? I adore te vivid desriptions, and how you used second person Point of view, it  was a new way  of reading for me, and I personally really enhoy this writing style. It opens up a new  world for me, a world where I am submered in literature, and I hope  it gets popular. :) Now, to tell you how amazing your story was...   The wayyou used the  prose in the beginning ws excellent, I was almost thinking I knew where this waas going, but  you surprised me.  I was  very glad when you took music,  a very common topic, and made it entirely new and ressurected it from the graveyard of cliche! The ending was perfectly executed, and wonderfully explained, so PLEASE keep writing!!!!! :)

on Aug. 4 2014 at 8:01 pm
artislikeemotion, Bancroft, Michigan
0 articles 3 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring. - Marilyn Monroe

Wow this is really great! Your writing got me right into the story. I never thought of those sounds in that  way before.  Very intriguing!

on Aug. 4 2014 at 12:15 pm
Kestrel135 PLATINUM, Waterford, Connecticut
43 articles 0 photos 256 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Respect existence or expect resistance"

This one, just like 'Absence', was brilliantly devised in such a small amount of writing. Being a musiscian myself, and always tyring to hear the music of everyday life like you described here, I could really relate to this piece. Even though it didn't have the same type of emotional impact as 'Absence' did, this one had something else. It was refreshing to read, and by the end, made me feel very content and satisfied. Well done!