Corey's Journey | Teen Ink

Corey's Journey

I wake up in an igloo with the following: a rock, a toothbrush, and four dollars. I can’t remember anything. An ancient man that resembles a fish is staring blankly at me.

“Man, I’m hungry.” I said. He smiled and I realized he had about a hundred sharp teeth. Then he pointed silently at a frozen block that looked like a fish.”I ain’t about to eat that,” I responded. He just shrugged his shoulders. I slowly surveyed the situation, I was sitting on what I guessed was a blanket of animal furs. There was a pile of bones and a thick pot in one corner; about five or six human-looking skulls were hanging from the ceiling. “Well, I’m out!” I said. And I shot out of the so-called “door.”

Outside was nothing at all but white, snowy, plains and six big and fluffy sled dogs all harnessed up to a sled (and waiting for me.) I hopped on the back and they took off in a dead run that continued for what seemed like hours. Soon I could see a dark and menacing forest closing in on me. I yelled for the dogs to stop, but they paid me no heed. In a matter of seconds we were crashing through the thick overgrowth and on to what seemed like a trail. We were going so fast that I couldn’t see because my eyes were watering. The blur of trees and bushes on both sides were dark and cold looking.

We came to a large clearing. The dogs stopped suddenly and I flew forward. I landed with a hard knock on the cold, icy ground. Then I sat up and looked around. What I saw nearly scared me to death. There were about eight pairs of dark, yellow, menacing, eyes staring at me through the black circle that surrounded us. I slowly crawled over to the dogs and unhitched them. I was sitting on my knees and the dogs were grouped in front of me. They were tense and still, staring into the woods. The largest husky let out a deep, throaty, battle roar and then eight skinny little vicious wolves charged us, growling all the way. The large and muscled-up snow dogs were right there to meet them. There was a loud clash of teeth, claws, and fur as the dogs battled it out in the large clearing. Then one of them little wolves came at me! I leaped up and came down on top of it and with a quick sideways jerk, I snapped his neck. The animal fell in a crumpled heap on the ground. I slugged another in the jaw with that rock. The huskies finally whooped ‘em and the last three living wolves hit the road, limping and whining, back to where they came from. I looked the dogs over and they seemed fine.

Then I realized how hungry I was. I went back to the sled. Where I pulled the thick buck-skin blanket off and guess what I found, BEEF JERKY!!! About one-thousand pounds of beef jerky was sitting there on the sled, untouched. I grabbed two handfuls and went back to the dogs. I generously shared my breakfast with them and went back to sled a few more times. Then the dogs started sniffing and licking up snow. I guessed that they were using the snow like water. So I did to.

I realized that the sun was sinking so I took the buck-skin blanket and spread it out. It turned out to be about as wide as fourth of a football field! I folded it over and called the dogs onto it. We huddled together and I pulled the cover over us. We quickly fell asleep.

When we woke up it was bright. I sat up and stretched and I realized I was surprisingly warm. Considering the five feet of snow on the ground! I hitched up the dogs and we continued through the thick forest. About an hour later I seen sunlight through the trees and we suddenly burst through the edge of the cold, dead- to-the-world forest and onto a gravel road. I looked up into the icy blasts of wind and saw a big busy town.

When I came to a small store nestled in the middle of a strip of stores. I commanded the huskies to stop. I jumped down off the sled and used one of its loose ropes to tie the dogs tightly to a frozen steel pole. Once I made sure they were secure I looked up and read the sign. It was called The Travelers Place. I went inside and for once I was actually warm! I gazed around and saw lots of junk piled up everywhere. In one corner the junk was piled neatly and a big mess was in the next. There were clothes on racks of all sizes and shoes and boots.

I went over to a display case that held a nice selection of knives. I grabbed a 6-inch switchblade that had two tuff looking wolves carved into the handle. I slid into my back pocket quickly and then moved on to a different table, this one had thick jeans laid across it I grabbed up about fifteen pairs. Then I walked to a rack and took about seven thick fluffy jackets. I looked across at the counter; no one was there. I flew out the door, threw my stolen things on the sled, covered them in the blanket, untied the rope, and took off. We were moving at about forty miles an hour and I could hardly see but I was able to grab a big sack of dog food from some porch and barely managed to get it on the sled. And with that we continued on for a few miles. The dogs finally slowed to a halt and we were in a different town. I went in another store and got a burger for 5 cents. Then I went back out and sat. I looked at the dogs and realized just how tired they were. I unhitched them and called them up on the porch where they lay and rested. After about an hour they had gotten up and were getting restless. I poured half of that sack of dog food on the porch and they inhaled it all down in about two seconds. And we were on our way again. We were heading straight into another stretch of woods and I seen a young girl, about seventeen, my age, flagging me. I stopped. She was beautiful, she had big brown eyes and long dark hair and a fair smile. But, she only had light dress on. “Will you take me with you, where are you going?” She asked desperately. “Yeah, but what’s wrong?” I replied. “Nothing, I’m just so tired of this boring old town.” I stepped down off the sled and shifted the blanket in the front so that it resembled a bed. She gladly sat down on it and I covered her up. And with that we were on our way!

She turned and asked where I was going again. “Oh!” I said, “I don’t really know, I was just going.”“ Okay, fine with me!” She said.

We traveled on long into the night. I stopped when we came to another clearing and this one was much smaller than the last one. I took her hand and lifted her from the blanket. She stepped aside and I once again doubled the blanket over on the ground. I unhooked and invited the dogs and the girl onto the blanket.

I covered them over and myself to. As we lay there staring at the stars she started to TALK, AND SHE NEVER DID SHUT UP! I finally, politely, interrupted and told her my name. She replied, “I am Jenna, I’m thirteen, and I am an orphan. I gasped, “What hap….” That was as far as I got because she was all over me and kissin me and huggin me and everything! “Hey!” I yelled. “Get off me!” She backed off, turned over, and went to sleep.

When she tried it again the next morning I tied her to a tree, left a few arm loads of beef jerky, two coats, and three pairs of pants. Then I was gone. I didn’t tie her too tight. She could have easily wriggled out.