An Answer to the Questions in the Back of your Mind | Teen Ink

An Answer to the Questions in the Back of your Mind

Youth. At the park, at a party, at a funeral, in class. At home, in bed, staring into the darkening plain of a ceiling, beckoning for sleep to drift you into a time and dimension that is much better than reality, but worse in the every impending moment. Wait for sleep that is designed by and for your mentality, to a degree in which you no longer feel feelings you cannot explain.

You stare at the ceiling, but questions will not let you sleep. You've always had these questions, eating at the pit of your stomach like a parasite you don't notice until it's eaten through. You're not scared, but calm; you've grown used to the feelings these questions give you, and do not worry about them. You hardly remember they’re there, until moments such as this.

Still in bed, still awake, but you're not sleeping; why? The questions keep you awake, but longing for sleep. They keep your consciousness at bay in total ignorant innocence. What you don't know can't hurt you; after all, the questions know what can.

You ask these questions day and night and at this moment. “What is the future? Where am I pulled to go in life? I know what I can do, or I must do, or what I won’t do. But what will I do? What is past this life as the next dimension, and into the one after that? Which dimension will I see the actual proof of forever and always?”

You lay in bed simply thinking about little things, world events, science, and memories. You think of religion and its many fables you tend to believe from time to time. None of it seems relevant or remotely tangible right now. You wonder and wonder for something that you will never physically or mentally answer, but that’s okay.

I will help you find the truth you seek. I will give you a hint to the next step.

When you do find the answer, it won't be what you expected. It won't be an answer to anything you ask right now. It will be far more joyful, and far more dangerous, and even greater in meaning. What is your answer?

Tell me when you find it. I would like to know your story.

Get out of your bed and stand up, break your concentration from the plain, darkening ceiling, for you will not find answers there.
Stretch for a moment and prepare for your journey, however long it will be. Take a step away, and walk out of the door. Watch your step. Keep walking into what you find to be your future. You won’t recognize it because you didn’t expect it to be so foreign and strange, but your future will recognize you and reveal itself for you. It has always been searching for you and only you for a very long time. It will be beautiful in your eyes- go and embrace the unknown, the cloaked, the faces, and places in disguise in the far-distant future. Embrace them, regardless if you should feel fear or comfort. They are the answers that you seek.

I wrote this as a reply email to a friend, who was asking me life-questions. She sent it to me while I was in bed, on a dark night, and everything that runs through my head around that time of night came out in that email. I revised it the next morning and turned it into this bit of philosophy. I feel people underestimate philosophy,and will come to appreciate it in this small observation. I also hope that you will find questions will be respected as questions still, but as an approachable answer.

on Mar. 8 2014 at 1:51 am
BurrThistle GOLD, Jaipur, Other

Write to taste life twice, in the moment and in retrospect

You need to work on your sentence structure and comma use a bit.  but aside from the technicalities, i  really liked the flow of this piece and especially the ending