A Miracle for a Raccoon | Teen Ink

A Miracle for a Raccoon

By YasminB. PLATINUM, Ocala, Florida
YasminB. PLATINUM, Ocala, Florida

Practice makes perfect!

BOOM! CRACK! As thunder and lightning collide, they create the world’s scariest tornado in history. The winds howl everywhere like wolfs at night while the tornado rushes passed house sweeping the house right off its feet. Out in the distance, under a small pile of wood, sits a family of raccoons waiting until the storm passes. The mother and father stands around the baby raccoon like a bodyguard. Suddenly, prevailing gusts of wind pluck the mother and father raccoons like picking crops on a farm and they drift off into the dark sky and disappear in the blink of an eye. The baby raccoon wails and cries, but the wind from the tornado drowns the cries of the baby raccoon so no one can hear the poor thing. Then the baby calms down, for the raccoon remembers what his mother said before she and his father left him. She said, “If your father and I ever leave you, you must know that it is your time to explore, travel, and survive on your own.” Those words ringed in the diminutive raccoons’ head. Slowly, but surely, the little raccoon fell asleep with those unchanged words still roaring in his head. The next day, the little raccoon woke up to a disaster. He was still safe under the pile of wood, but outside looked as if there was a bunch of trash lying there for decades. The baby raccoon looked scared, but soon, the words of his mother filled his mind. The raccoon needed a place to find so he could get warm, fed and washed up clean. He was a tame raccoon, not like some raccoons. Boy, were those other raccoons vicious. The baby raccoon peeked out of the little shelter, snuffed out for any danger and started his adventure to find a home. First he tried to find some kind of track that was led by humans. When he was just a few weeks old, his dad had told him when he had met with humans that were nice and friendly, but others, you have to what out for. Some are mean and they won’t care about you. His dad told him that if he ever wanted to befriend with humans, he should pick someone that he knew in his heart was the right person. As the little raccoon was thinking this over, he was lucky enough to find some footprints that looked like humans made them. He had known this only, because as soon as he was able to walk, his father led him to certain tracks to follow, and certain track to stay away from. One type of tracks that his father showed him was a humans’ footprint. After about an hour or so, the little raccoon came to a log cabin and saw humans. Not just humans, friendly humans. All of them had big smiles on their faces as if they would invite anybody. The raccoon was excited and nervous. He was enthusiastic because it was his first time seeing humans. He was edgy because he wasn’t sure what would happen to him. But his heart motivated him that this is what he should do and that is exactly what the little fellow did. He walked cautiously to the car. To the looks of it, the family was having a vacation and they were unpacking. Then a teenage girl peers down and spots the little creature. The little raccoon covered himself because he thought she was going to scream, but she gingerly picked him up and took him inside soothing the poor scared animal. The girls’ mother was delighted to find that she found someone to play with. They washed him, fed him and made him as comfortable as possible. The raccoon accepted this favor and was as obedient as a dog. The raccoon was right, he did choose a good family to stay with and now, his life will be much easier for him. He fell asleep in the soft blankets thinking of how his future will turn out to be as good as ever.