The Big Mistake | Teen Ink

The Big Mistake

December 6, 2013
By YasminB. PLATINUM, Ocala, Florida
YasminB. PLATINUM, Ocala, Florida
20 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
Practice makes perfect!


When I get nervous, I over react and when I over react, I get very dramatic, and when I get very dramatic, well, you get where that path is going. I remember very clearly of how one time I got nervous and worried. It is not like this happened a long time ago, it happens just a few weeks back. It was February 6, 2013. I had just signed up for softball, afire for my second day of practice. I was equipped. I had practiced at home until I was able to do the things I did a couple years back that were awe-inspiring. I didn’t feel introverted when I got there but something happened to make my entire dream nosedive. It’s like a paper airplane flying seamlessly, but then a something hits it and it wallops to the floor. I was practicing a new skill called bunting. You align your fingers slightly above the spot you rest your hands to swig hard. But you don’t wrap your fingers around the bat. Let me recurrence that just one more time just so you get that unmistakably. YOU DON’T WRAP YOUR FINGERS AROUND THE BAT!!! Then you try to swig hard, but slid your fingers in that position and covering your fingers at the back of the bat. Stop in mid-way and tap the ball unconscientiously. This will perplex the players on the other team and you have a splitting flash to make a run for it to first base. Apparently, that didn’t go well with me. Since it was my first try I did the exact opposite when it came to wrapping my fingers. I enveloped it around the bat. I was so puerile. That is when I got hit really hard with the softball. I instantly got worried. What if it was broken? Two days later, I went to the emergency room to see exactly as to what happened. I did an x-ray and they told me that it was a fracture and I have to wear a finger guard for four weeks and that meant no softball. Now I had other things stuck in my mind. What if I would have to quit softball completely because I hurt it? By the time I get healed, what would be the purpose in playing without practice. Not only that, but I my fingernail will come off and regrow. Now I’m thinking, ouch! Now I have to wait until that heals. How will I know if I will ever get better in this condition? Also, when I looked at my x-ray, my parents think that I might have to get a surgery to take the piece of bone that might be hanging in my body. Great, what am I going to do now? By the time I’m healed, the season will be done. Also, what if I would never be able to move my finger because of what I did to it? Oh no, what have I done to myself? See, I told you I get dramatic.