Dream Sequence: Adrift | Teen Ink

Dream Sequence: Adrift

November 13, 2013
By DrowningPenelope BRONZE, South Hadley, Massachusetts
DrowningPenelope BRONZE, South Hadley, Massachusetts
2 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
Sir, I admit your general rule
That every poet is a fool;
But you yourself may serve to show it
That every fool is not a poet.
~ Alexander Pope


Loading…. Loading…. Neurons processing data. File: /field/ has been uploaded.


At first there is only white, unadulterated and pure. Gently, it peels itself apart into tiny little cotton balls, into even slighter seeds of dandelion fluff that slowly dance in the canvas of the sky. The seeds are quite comfortable, even warm, as they drift around your body, your lungs, your soul. There is nothing but calm; just you and the air.

The calm expands and contracts in your chest, in and out, filling you deeply like air after a long swim. Ever so slowly, it begins to grow within your body—not withering and dying, but blooming into an incredible freedom. Your lungs are ripped apart by its hungry roots, and the growing stems puncture your organs and break bones, but there has never been such a feeling of beauty like this.

Your body is gone, but you have become the sky.

Click…. Click-clack.

Nothing in this moment exists but you, and you alone, for Nirvana is yours.

Click-clack. Click-clack! Clack clack clack CLICK!

No…. No….

You want to not to look so very much, but fighting the swivel of your head is inevitable. Eyes (are they the sky’s, or now only yours?) find themselves locked around flesh, caught by a line of hard steel. The circle enclosing what is (was? is still?) you is welded to links, welded to champagne skin, welded to a bright peridot gaze. So beautiful, and yet….so… Cruel… You almost forgot it had lips.

“I. OWN. YOU.”

It sends you crashing and splintering below, each word pounds of lead dropped from above. There is hard ground below, painfully hard, and it refuses to let your body forget how gravity works. Amidst your wreckage, the dandelions ravaged red, there is a smile, and a laugh.

And an I Love You.


The author's comments:
A little piece about a dream and its death. Please tell me how I did!