Defeated | Teen Ink

Defeated

By AnonymousHuman BRONZE, STANDDAARBUITEN, Other
AnonymousHuman BRONZE, STANDDAARBUITEN, Other

Head up, stay strong. Fake smile, move on.

I concentrated and looked at the person before me. When she finished it was my turn. I swam as hard as I could. It was just not quick enough. The start of my race went terribly wrong. I tried to fix it, but I did not succeed. I tried to keep my technique up but my arms and legs were too tired. In the corner of my eye I saw I swam last. I tried to swim a bit harder, but I couldn’t. I nearly finished through the wall and took a great breath. When I walked to my trainer, he said what I did wrong but I should not let my defeat take over me. When I see my other trainer he said the exact same thing plus I should not think about it, it was not that bad. When I finally arrived home, my mom said: “Aww it’s going to be okay, it is not a big deal.”
BUT IT IS TO ME! I don’t want people to feel sorry for me! I don’t want any pity! It is bad enough that I swam terrible, I don’t need people to tell me that over and over again. Because of the bad race, people are like: “Hey better luck next time”. I’m trying so hard, without any results, and all I get is: Better luck next time. They don’t understand a thing about how I feel. After such a race I just want to be alone for a while, where nobody is talking to me, or feeling sorry for me. After such a day I just want to sleep and cry!