The Day of 9/11 | Teen Ink

The Day of 9/11

October 2, 2008
By Anonymous

“What a tiring day so far.”
I was stepping out of the elevator. My morning was the usual nothing special. I dropped Sam off at school on my way to work, and bored the sub way to down town. My job was a mess, papers everywhere and the boss yelling. I wouldn’t be surprised if someone had a stroke in that mess.

















“All of you are slackers,” he would yell at the top of his lungs.


Walking into my office it looks as if a full blanket of snow has fallen from the ceiling.
In the middle of the afternoon when the boss was yelling at the staff like a gorilla, and the phone was ringing non-stop. I stood up in front of the mess and was about to leave. “I’m fished with this mess,” I said under my breath so that no one could hear. I decided to sit back down and not do anything I would regret.
“Sir, I wish you would start listing to our ideas.”
He got real red in the face and told me to leave the conference room tell I had common sense.
I can’t afford to lose my job for my son is my first priority. Are family is small but it is just the perfect size. Mary, my wife, died five years ago from brain tumor. It took a great impact on our little family, but we survived to live another day.
“Get in here, John!” the boss screamed from the conference room.
I sprinted to the door, and took my seat and sat there tell the conference got intense.
“YOU CAN’T DO THAT NOT NOW IT’S TO EARLY IN THE CONSTRUCTION PROJECT,” I confronted him from across the table.
“DO NOT USE THAT TONE WITH ME. DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM? DO YOU KNOW WHO PAYS YOU AT THE END OF THE DAY? DO HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT IS GOING ON? GET OUT! YOU’RE FIRED!’’ he screamed across the room.





I made sure I slammed the door on my way out. As I was walking down the hall mad enough to jump out of a plane 30,000 ft. in the sky. All of a sudden a loud bang happens and knocks me off my feet, and my face pounded against ground with such great force. What was that? Who did that? Then out of the blue the flood started to come together. Crunching the floors together with such great force the people in the conference room were crushed to a death. I took no time to waste, and I got up and dashed to the emergency exit. The stairs were doing the same thing, but I didn’t care now, I started my way down the stairs.


All of a sudden the other part of the stairs started to cave in too. I was trapped like a rodent in a cage. They made a oval shape that made me helplessly stuck.
“NO, SOMEBODY HELD ME; I’M NOT GOING LIKE THIS NOT NOW! HELP ME!”
I didn’t know what to do. I was stuck it the stair well and the electricity went out. Now, I was stuck in the dark and on the edge of death, but that didn’t matter to me now. All I wanted to do is get out of here to see Sam just one more time. His face was painted across my mind like a famous mural. In this short amount of time, I learned that family is the highlight of our lives. No matter what we can always rely on our family, but I was frustrated because I would not be there for Sam. It was to late the upper floor started to come down more and more on me, and there was no help for me. This was the last chapter of my life, and all I wanted to do is see my son just one more time.