Fiction and Reality | Teen Ink

Fiction and Reality

By Callie Manning GOLD, Lantana, Texas
Callie Manning GOLD, Lantana, Texas

Fiction: Something invented by the imagination or feigned; an invented story. Fictitious literature (as novels or short stories); a work of fiction.
Reality: The quality or state of being real; a real event, entity, or state of affairs; the totality of real things and events; something that is neither derivative nor dependent but exists necessarily.
What is the first thing that comes to mind when you hear the word fiction?
A novel, maybe, or some movie. Something created in the human mind.
Reality, now that’s an easy one also. It’s you, and I, and everything around us, from your dog to the building where you work.
So I suppose the real question is, where does the line between them blur?
-:-

The first book Ella can remember reading was an old collection of Humantales. They told fantastic tales of great wooden ships sailing through oceans and men fighting in bloody war for reasons unknown. Innocent women and people from other cultures were hated and deemed inferior.

“Ella? Eleanor, what are doin’?” The young woman was broken from her reverie as her maidservant, Lissa, bustled in.

“Come on now, yeah should ready by now. You’re to be meetin’ Charming’s parents soon. We don’t want them to see yeah in your nightshift do we!” she smiled kindly. “Now, what dress well yeah be wearin’?”

“I would like to think the green one, with the gold seams,” Ella replied, returning the smile.

The old woman helped the princess dress, then styled her hair into elegant braid lying in a pile atop her head.

“Now, let’s get you downstairs. You look stunning,” said Lissa. Ella nodded, casting one look at her old book before leaving the room. The fierce brutality and beauty of humans amazed Ella, and she was grateful it existed only in the pages of her books.
Fiction. Something invented by the imagination or feigned; an invented story. Fictitious literature (as novels or short stories); a work of fiction.
Reality. The quality or state of being real; a real event, entity, or state of affairs; the totality of real things and events; something that is neither derivative nor dependent but exists necessarily.