Man of the Mountain

When I look down on Dugney, I see the shops, and the glow of the lamp lights on the harbor, and the way the people look like busying ants from this high above the ground. There are so many wonderful things about that town, so many things I left behind. But then again, there are so many things that are ahead, waiting to be discovered. I never thought I would regret my decision, but I do. Not all the time, but just when I look over the ledge of the rock just below the cave I keep shelter in. The answer to my longing is simple: do not look. But I feel a kind of pull: from the sound of old but familiar voices, from the taste of food cooked at the home, when I was safe and heading down a straight road of life.

Everything made sense back then. I was just the kind of person you would meet and come away saying to yourself, 'He's got his life all planned. He's ready for anything.'. And yet you would be wrong, because behind that gleam of self-confidence and assurance, was the pressure of two dedicated parents, the fact of living up to an older brother, and a lost lover who would never come back.

But then again, that is the past, isn't it?

Hanban12This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Wow! This is amazing, especially the ending. Everyone relives their past, but this shows that theres nothing you can do about changing it, for its already happened. The character must move on and I could really experience the world through his eyes- Awesome job on this.

leila_barry said...
I absolutely love this! It has such a common topic but it is so intrigueing and makes you think. Amazing! Keep it up :)