missing | Teen Ink

missing

MISSING

JOHN

Where am I? How did I get here? The thing I remember was falling asleep on the couch in the basement the broncos vs. the raiders I don’t think I’ve ever been here before. Hoi stand up and look out the cellar looking window. Wow I know I’ve never been here before. How did I get out in the middle forest? I don’t even live near the forest so I couldn’t have slept walk. My mind goes blank my body freezes u. the only possible explanation is… I was kidnapped.

MOM

“John, its time to get up.” I called up for the third time getting really frustrated. I walked down the hall and stepped inside the filthy room which told him to clean. ”Great,” I mumble “he probably fell asleep in the basement after watching the football game. How can he the understand that game there is so many rules. I reach the basement and open the door and get ready to yell why should I bother I walk down the stairs as I reach the bottom and turned my head and my stomach drops to the floor . He’s gone.

JOHN

How could this happen? How could this happen? Then I hear something I didn’t think I would ever hear again my dads voice. I haven’t heard it since he left one night when I was 5. my mom was really sad. For months she even leave her room.

MOM

Where is he? Where could he possibly be. Maybe he had lab and he went to school early. Yah that must be it I think to myself. I pick up the phone and dial the school number. The secretary picks up and I ask her if john came in to lab this morning. “Wait a second and let me check.” The secretary said to me. When she finaly came back on the phone she said “No mam I’m very sorry he hasn’t. May I ask why.” “Oh yah he isn’t here so I thought he might of went to lab” I replied. Oh well maybe he’s walking here right now. “Yah that’s probably it thanks.”

JOHN

I stand up to see who it is. It is. Its my dad. I run towards him and stop as I stare at this man I am confused. It is my dad but he looks bad. He looks old and really worn out. As I stare at him confused I start thinking. Why is he here? Why am I here with him? All these questions are going through my head and none will come at all I do is stare. While he stare’s back. Then something that I never thought would have happened did. He apologized for leaving. Then he pulled a gun out and shot me. Static ran through my body as I lay there bleeding to death. Ill never know why but I will always know that 8 years after he left my own father shot me.

MOM

After 3 years of looking the detective I hired found his a skeleton 75 miles away from the house that the results came back to be his. He was shot in the heart. I never found out who did it but I hope they live it down for the rest of their lives.