A Lesson From Maddie | Teen Ink

A Lesson From Maddie

June 7, 2013
By Duchamp SILVER, Noble, Oklahoma
Duchamp SILVER, Noble, Oklahoma
8 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"ok so let me get this straight, one really big meal a day then we go to sleep, no paper towels but a little bit of bread because we're not Nazis and as many popsicles as we want"-Nathan Explosion


I watched her small figure leap from the couch into his arms, feet lightly pressing the old carpet, her stomach pressed against his knees. An embrace I had seen a million times in her short five years. Dark curls fluttering down and cooling resting against her soft face, the ribbons I had tied in them had begun their annual decent through her hair, her hero pulled them out pulled her back for another hug, this time standing up with her in his steady arms. I just smiled and continued to ready dinner, while she started unloading her day into his ready ears and they disappeared down the hallway. I knew exactly what would happen, he would listen and cherish every last detail, every giggle and coo she made, and she would admire his smile and genuine interest. It happened every day. They would go curl up in his big chair, her on his lap, leaning away just enough to look at him while she explained her day; then dinner would finish and they'd come flying down the hallway together. I could hear her sweet laughs, signaling a tickle war, I finished setting the table and called out to them. Soon enough he was running in with her on his shoulders and dinner had begun.

She sat down and started on her plate, before flicking food at her dad. They both smiled. It was a beautiful thing, to see them both smile. She had inherited his sweet smile matched with my lips and cheeks. She was a perfect mixture of us both; she appeared so delicate but she played rough. I had known the first time I saw her dad hold her he had found his best friend. I was right, the older she got the more he did with her. Besides work, they were inseparable.
“Maddie...” He whispered across the table.
“Yes daddy?” She smiled with her single front tooth.
“Where's the froggie you caught today?”
“Mommy said it's wild and I cant keep it!” her voice lowered,”But I wanted it daddy!”
“Well how about after dinner we take you to get your very first pet?” He got a huge smile while she jumped up. I loved animals, and I couldn't deny my daughter that same glory, even if it tacked on extra responsibility. He sent Maddie to get ready while we cleaned up from dinner.
“So you're not mad are you?” He asked hesitantly.
“Of course not. It's daddys right to offer his daughter treats... or pets” I smiled and kissed his cheek, “Besides, I'm excited to see what she'll pick!”
“Good, so am I. She's ready, she does so good with the cats.” He bragged while grabbing my waist.
“And she's so careful and gentle with everything else.”

So that was the day Maddie got Cupcake. Of all the pets I would have expected her to pick a hamster, similar to my own affections as a child and just furry enough to give off the ever-so-admired stuffed animal charm. My daughter always surprised me though, and this had been no exception. She picked a snake as long as her arm. I had never been a fan of them myself, I always felt they were cold and unlovable. Or maybe just to untamable, like bringing a crocodile into your home. I'm sure if you tried you could befriend it, but it would never truly be affectionate or loyal to you in the way of a small dog or an old cat. I wasn't one to argue though, we took Cupcake home and Maddie fell in love. She did everything for that snake herself. Even the gruesome mice feeding, which made my stomach churn and guilt fill my eyes; but Maddie would go get a mouse from the freezer without hesitation, always thanking it for its help and give it to her scaly friend.


Months went by with me barely able to touch Cupcake while Maddie held her, until one day she ran into my room, snake in hand crying. I automatically assumed she had got bitten and ran to help her, but I was shocked by her response.
"Honey what happened?" I pleaded.
"Cupcake... is... very... sad!" She choked out through tears and sobs.
"What?" I was caught off guard.
"Because... You don't... like her!"


That was the first time I held Cupcake. And I fell in love. She quickly transformed into a family pet. When Maddie started school that fall Cupcake and I became quick best friends. This sweet creature I used to look at as a novelty pet was suddenly a whole new family member. That was the day I figured out you can bond with any creature, big or small, rough or smooth. I never knew I could learn a lesson in love from Maddie.