Ladybug | Teen Ink

Ladybug

May 28, 2013
By cccozzi95 BRONZE, Plantation, Florida
cccozzi95 BRONZE, Plantation, Florida
1 article 2 photos 0 comments

Ladybug



Standing on the hill, I look down the grassy face of the dew-covered hill. The metal of the gun strapped to my back touches the bare parts of my skin though the ripped holes in my worn out clothes. Behind, in front, and all around I hear ring of bullets piercing through the air. The screams of eager and charging men drown the painful moans of the injured soldiers. My knees are barely able to carry my heavy boots that hug my slender legs. My fingers are cracked with deep, dirt filled uneven grooves. The orange sunlight traces the lines of the tops of the trees. Behind me, I hear branches and twigs snap. Stumbling up, I turn around aiming my gun. Following the path of my eyes, the gun scans the forest. Seeing nothing, I turn, and before I take my next step, a sharp pinch clenches my back. In slow motion I fall forward. Screaming, I can feel my lungs collapse. My shoulders hit the grass followed by the thud of my gun against the earth. Once again battle cries ring out. Realizing I’m losing strength, I roll over on my back. The sky is soft. Colors of peach hide behind clouds of porcelain white. Blinking, a small tear escapes and runs down the side of my cheek. Opening my eyes, I see dashes of tan and blue running through the trees. Trickles of red seep through my wool coat and spread as the pressure releases. The corners of my eyes grow dark but stay open just long enough to see a ladybug crawling on the barrel of my gun.


The author's comments:
I want the reader to think about how the last line of the story relates to the rest of it.