Skinny (4) | Teen Ink

Skinny (4)

By a_shton GOLD, Grand Prairie, Texas
a_shton GOLD, Grand Prairie, Texas

Joe sat across from me and we talked all night. We fell asleep eventually and it was morning when we woke up.

I threw a pillow at him and he stirred. I picked another one up and aimed for his head.

“Get up,” I said.

“Ugh, what time is it,” he groaned.

“Nine.”

“I fell asleep? My dad is probably worried. I left my phone at the house.”

My mom called us downstairs. We walked down groggily and said our good mornings.

“Have some pancakes,” she said with a smile, “and Joe I told your dad that you were over here.”

“Thanks,” he said back, leaning in to give her a hug.

“My my,” she said, “l remember when you two were little and used to do the same thing. You know? Fall asleep talking all night? Well listen to me going on. Do you want any pancakes, sweet heart?”

“Yes please,” Joe said with a grin.

“What about you, Rae?”

“None for me, mom.”

Joe looked at me strangely and turned to get his pancakes. I sighed and went back up to my room to get dressed. When I was all done I turned to the mirror and looked at myself hard and turned away and walked to the bathroom and put on more makeup.

I looked at myself in my bathroom mirror. Was this beauty? Was this what I wanted? I shrugged off my feelings of uncertainty and walked out of my bathroom.

I headed back down stairs and Joe was putting on his shoes. I went down to walk him to the door and hugged him goodbye. He looked back and waved at me.

4/10