Secrets | Teen Ink

Secrets

“I have something to tell you.”

The smell of dirt wafted from the grass beneath them, and the faint sound of their fellow children laughing distantly reached their ears. The sun shone down through the scattered clouds that raced across the sky in a fruitless attempt to reach the horizon.

“Is it a secret?”

The two children laid on previously cut grass, still slightly damp from a mid-morning rain. The boy was lying on his back, his hands beneath his head. He could feel the impression the grass had under his weight, forcing its impression into the backs of his hands.

“Kind of.”

The two children laid on previously cut grass, still slightly damp from a mid-morning rain. The girl was lying on her left side, a pair of head phones left unattended, dangling around her neck. She put one hand under her jawbone to prop her torso up so she could watch the boy. The girl leaned down and whispered into his ear. The smell of her cherry lip balm reached the boys nostrils just slightly, and the sound emitted from her headphones was barely audible as she leaned in close.