A Wasted Life | Teen Ink

A Wasted Life

May 1, 2013
By CheeseWrita BRONZE, New Gloucester, Maine
CheeseWrita BRONZE, New Gloucester, Maine
3 articles 0 photos 4 comments

As she sat there, thinking over her life, she realized that
she was nothing. Just an average person who had lived a full life. She had not failed because no one had many expectations for her. It was her who had said that someday she would change the world. She had tortured herself those last few years, trying to find a way to change the world and ultimately was unable. In the grand scheme of things she was just one person and one person cannot change the world until other people start to follow. If anything she had actually made things worse because in trying to find some big solution to a worldly problem, she had neglected those who needed her most. She had missed her mothers dying breath, she had forgotten countless things her friends had asked her to help them with. Now here she was, sitting in the field of her old high school recollecting the past. She had come here in an attempt to visit her old teachers, her old life, but none of it was there anymore. The town was in complete disarray and rubble from WW3. Almost everyone in the vicinity had been vaporized by the enemy's missiles. Those who had lived and had chosen to stay were murdered in the massacres that followed. Everyone she loved was gone. She had been so absorbed by her quest to make a difference that she had never married or had a family and had pushed away almost everyone who cared about her (besides her dog Everest but he died years ago). She may have been successful in her quest had it not been so important to her that in the process she made a name for herself. She wanted people to know who she was and what great things she had done. Now as she sat there having done none of that she started to cry, she was going to die alone, no one remembered or cared about her, not even she, herself, cared. She had wasted her life.