This Essay is a Logical Fallacy

Fallacious Essay

Every tailgater you will find will have a rather impatient personality. They will rush through books, retaining only half of the story, shove meals down their throat as if they were at a food eating contest, and worst of all: they will cruise three to five feet from your bumper just to pass you and come to a halt at the red light while you pull up next to them without the excessive speeding to get there. It always seems like you are either tailgating or driving too cautiously. There is significant evidence that you are ten times as likely to crash if you are driving within 15 feet of the driver in front of you; especially if you are between the ages of 18 and 30, are a male, and drink coffee more than twice a day. If you fit the description for a frequent tailgater, please take precautions to avoid precarious situations involving your front bumper and the rear bumper of the driver in front of you.

It is imperative that you do not tailgate to avoid colossal fines as well as the birth of another aggressive driver: the victim of this “tailgation”. Yes, you may think that tailgating will encourage ‘faster’ driving from the person in front of you; however, that is not the case. Tailgating only causes frustration and agony in the driver in front of you. Tailgating sparks rage and anger in the victim, and will certainly lead to other situations on the road, some of which can be deadly. Please, there are lives at risk, do not tailgate.

To understand how tailgating can cause volatile behavior from other drivers, we must first understand the system of checks and balances of the United States government. For the variables, lets set the ‘driver being tailgated’ as the president, and the ‘tailgater’ as Congress. If Congress want to pass a bill that is in direct violation of the president’s basic ideals, the president will veto the bill if it gets passed. ‘Vetoing’ in this situation, is the volatile behavior that brews in the ‘driver being tailgated’. Now that Congress is an enemy in the president’s eyes, any bill that gets passed will be vetoed because the president is enraged. A bill that helps children with disabilities will pass Congress, but will be vetoed by the president. This is an unacceptable situation and can be directly compared to tailgating.

There are valid arguments to the practice of tailgating. But these arguments are only semi-valid and should be ignored because they are not very strong. “I needed to get to work! I work for the mayor, he needs my help filing papers and such.” This is a valid argument; however, the mayor probably has several assistants and does not require this person immediately. To conclude, there are no valid arguments to the practice of tailgating.

Tailgating is simply a bad thing. If it were a good thing, you would hear people walking down the street with endless praise for it. When President Obama was running for reelection, people marched in favor of him, nobody marches in favor of tailgating; therefore, it must be a bad thing. We all know Obama to be the symbol of the nation. He endorses good things, and denounces bad things in speeches. Mr. Obama has never kissed a baby with ‘tailgating’ tattooed on his forehead.

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

motongever said...
Feb. 6 at 5:31 pm:
Hi I appreciate your post a lot. I am an English student and searching about fallacies. You should have indicated what are the fallacies and where in your essay.