Worlds Apart | Teen Ink

Worlds Apart

By Gabriela_Black BRONZE, Flemingsburg, Kentucky
Gabriela_Black BRONZE, Flemingsburg, Kentucky
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

"You have to decide what kind of person you wanna grow up to be. Whoever that person is, good character or bad... It's gonna change the world."

Alexandria isn't the person everyone thinks she is. The mystery needs to be solved. She needs to be brought down.

For eleven months and three days, Gavin was enough for Alexandria but now he's almost certain he's not.

He tried to ignore it. To play it off. He tried to pretend he didn't suspect it but something inside of him knew that he needed too, because he was being betrayed.

You see, its different, when Alexandria and Gavin's friends are around them, their the perfect couple. It's like the galaxy of stars explodes inside of their iris. But when their alone the only attention he gets from her is her usual forced smile. Hardly any eye contact unless she's bringing up the therapist she's been begging him to get. No real smile, no real affection, no real anything.

He asked her why she doesn't smile as much as she use too and every time she'd give him the same critic answer. "I don't know what you're talking about, I smile all time."

Over the course of months, they silently drifted apart because she knew that they would be happy only if they are apart. Eventually one night, she had enough of it. She ended it.

Their suppose to be together forever. She promised him that. But that ended before it even begun.

"Why did you leave me? I thought I made you happy."

"Gavin... You can't even make yourself happy. I'm sorry. But this is for the best."

She's not suppose to betray him, rip his heart out of his chest and stomp on it. But she did and after weeks of being alone, going crazy inside of his head. He knew what he had to do.

First, he had to confront her.

"Alexandria! My beautiful and destroyed angel, you know, I planned so many terrible things, hurtful things to say to you, to make you break but once I confronted the truth it was easy to see that I need to thank you. I don't love you anymore Alex. You were the worst thing that ever happened to me! I went through hell for you, I tried to give you every bit of happiness in this world I thought you deserved and you still left me. I'm over it though. You don't own me anymore."

"You're scaring me Gavin..."

Second, he had to make sure he'd never feel another thing for her ever again.

He needed her leave.

To die.

He carry's the jug of gasoline to her home, which is only one story high. He makes a trail. With the unfamiliar stink indulging his nostrils, he lights the match. He couldn't decide if it was from the lack of sleep or if was just getting crazier by the minute, but he could have sworn he saw himself in the flame that was rising from the small piece of wood as he hears her voice echoing in his head,

"I'll love you forever and always."

He tossed it onto the ground. Erupting crackling noises and rising orange flames.

"Liar, liar, burn in hell."

He sits and watches, silently thanking god she lives such a long way from town. Otherwise someone would have found out already.

She deserved this right? She hurt him, he hurt her. All fair, right?

The screeching brought him out of his thoughts and before he knew it, his legs were speeding into the burning building, and into her room, and there she lay in a ring of small fire only maybe six inches off the ground. Ash covering her once beautiful face. Breathless and lifeless. He drops to his knees and runs a slender finger across her pulse point, feeling the beat he pulls her against hes chest. This was a mistake. Carrying her out of the building he ran into a meadow east of the spreading fire, coughing uncontrollably. He sits and watches the searching emergency helicopters in the sky, listening to the blaring sirens in the background.

He sighs as he slumps down onto the ground. A certain rock catches his eye, small but pointy. He grabs it, examining it extremely. He turns it over, seeing that it is, only, just a rock. Not something special. He squeezes it into his fist then the sudden realization of pain washes over his body, he threw the rock more violently then he should. Seeing the red dots form on his thumb.

What the hell was wrong with him?

He figured that his heart was made up of rusted chains and barbed wire. And that it doesn't beat anymore, just hums occasionally

He just wanted to be normal.

But in order to find that normalcy he so much desired, he had to set his world on fire. He had to do something like this. His family, gone. His friends, gone. Himself? That was LONG GONE.

A silent tear fell out of his eye. Then another, and another.

It's amazing how fast things can go from bad to worse. The first thing he could ever remember is that his world has been over run. That he's always been fighting to find a way of trying to survive. Find a place to live. Find himself. But he's never had much luck

Gavin and Alexandria are worlds apart, so what could possibly bring them together?

When the brown eyes finally open and met the stunned blue they seemed to be terrified. The brunette seemed to only then become aware of where she was and soon enough attempted to leave but Gavin reached for her arm.

"No. You promised me--"

"Forever and always." The brunette finished.

She turned to look at him. To take his appearance in. The sadistic sociopath she loved had just tried to kill her. She knew that much. His dirty, sweaty blonde hair is covering most of his eyes, while his eyes are dark with pain. Blood splat over his clothes and a few drops around his round face. She could tell his breathing was increased just watching the lump in his throat.

She doesn't know where the blood came from or who it came from but she knew it would be better if she didn't ask.

She forced a smile and ran her small shaky hand through his messy hair.

As he grabbed her neck, the two sealed the deal with a kiss on the lips as the world erupted behind them.

They'll have to forget the world that they knew. No more of the past. No more normal lives.

Just Gavin and Alexandria. On the run.

Forever and always.