The Arch of Love

There was once a minor goddess by the name of Celeste. She was the child of Apollo and a lovely mortal maiden, Adenine. When she was born, her mother realized that this child had a faint aura around her, reminiscent but not equal to the glow of the sun god, Apollo. The baby’s features were exquisite; her hair a silk sheet of ebony, and her eyes reflected a celestial color, from which her name was derived. How Adenine fell in love with the child! More so than she had fallen in love with Apollo.
Yet the maiden was poor, living a simple life in the countryside. As the years went by and her child grew, the mother recognized Celeste’s gifts; her intelligent, creative, beautiful daughter did not belong in a life among the rowdy and plain farmers. Adenine grieved for her daughter and the measly life she was sure to lead.
In her grief, yet also in her logic and hope- a powerful combination- Adenine called to Apollo, her once love. She lamented, “Apollo! O, Sun driver! Heavenly Sun god! Hear my pleas! Your daughter is more than a common mortal child; she has your glittering, and the talents bestowed upon her are too great. Come, take her to Mount Olympus, lest her spirit live a life in vain.” Apollo, upon hearing these woeful prayers, could not play fool’s ignorance, for he knew the gifts he had given the child.
“Dear Adenine, why are your eyes swamps of despair, grief carved so clearly on your heart? I have heard your prayers and have come to answer them— lay the child in my arms, and you are laying her fortune here. Be sure, sweet maiden, that her life shall be of the greatest stature,” said Apollo in a valiant speech, for he had come to claim the child for immortal life. And truly, when the radiant sun god held the small Celeste near his heart, he felt a tiny ray of his own warmth rebounding to him.
Apollo knew, however, that there were still negotiations to be made— specifically with his own father, Zeus, king of the gods.
“Father Zeus! Mighty god of gods! I grant you a fair day,” said Apollo.
“Lo! Is it my son who is visiting me, a god himself?” said Zeus. “Fair day, fair day! Yet I see you come with greater intentions than wishing the king of gods a fair day.” Zeus glanced at the miniscule child.
“Yes, Father, true and right intentions. See this child here? She is my daughter. And just as you once saw Artemis’ and my faces shining out among the children of the world, so I too see my own daughter’s face a radiant beam in the lowliness of mortals. She deserves a place among her fellows.”
“Ah, but how many children you have, Apollo. Every time you see a gifted child of yours, will you come asking for a place in the Pantheon? And what makes this child stand out among the many other talented mortals?”
“Father, you have felt the love for your own children. What about Hermes? Athena? My siblings, are they not then half god and half mortal? Degrade my own child and you are degrading yours. Her brilliance is evident. Clearly, her veins flow heavily with divine blood- blood which runs from the god of gods himself.”
Zeus considered Apollo’s words. Though they had pricked him, spite was missing, and Zeus’s pride was kept intact. He knew the truth in Apollo’s defense, for more of his demigod children had become gods than he had anticipated, Apollo being one himself. Zeus gazed at the child, so sweet and innocent, yet he had watched her before this confrontation; Zeus knew it was not long before Apollo swept the child in, pleading for her in his court.
“My son, Apollo, driver of the sun chariot, I bade you a fair day, and fair indeed it shall be, for your daughter is to become a goddess. As you are the son god, I deem it fitting for your daughter to be goddess of the natural elements, to control the weather as she judges.”
And so, Apollo, with Celeste on his shoulder, left the court of Zeus on Mount Olympus for his abode, all the while in elated states. Though the child did not understand everything that had occurred, she had the natural intelligence to glean that she had been given a great honor and certainly a much better life.
As a minor goddess, Celeste did not enjoy as many privileges as other gods and goddesses did, especially not being a favorite of Zeus. Nonetheless, Celeste made the most she possibly could out of the immortal life she had been granted.
Celeste would send out signals to her mother to let her know how she was feeling. Each type of weather represented a different emotion. However, Celeste experimented with sending out a special signal, one which meant love. Yet as creative as she was, Celeste could not create a sign.
Though she acknowledged that her life was both limited and limitless, Celeste did not actively search to find love. Though Eros would often playfully attempt to strike her with one of his arrows, Celeste simply disregarded this aspect of her life. After living many years with Apollo, Artemis decided it was a perfect opportunity to recruit Celeste in her group of chaste hunters.
“Sweet Celeste, it is I, Artemis, who has come to visit you!”
“O Moon goddess, and Aunt, what honor have I been granted that you come to me?”
“I come with an invitation to a group which I am sure you would fit beautifully with. I have come to invite you to be an eternal maiden in my tribe of hunters.”
“O Huntress, I am overwhelmed with this greatest honor. Yet lest I do you shame, I say for myself that I am not of this type of life. I thank you wholeheartedly, goddess of the bow, yet I am not worthy of your presence.”

Artemis, enraged by a rejection of her invitation, vowed to make Celeste see the error of her ways. Yet this revenge would come at a later date- one too late for Apollo’s intervention.

After several years, Celeste did fall in love, with a mortal man. Yet just as her own mother before her, Celeste‘s love for her child was deeper than any love she could have for her lover. Unfortunately, Celeste knew that there was no chance for her daughter to enter the Pantheon; it would be asking too much of Zeus. At the least, Zeus would let Celeste keep her child in the skies. Celeste was his granddaughter, and Zeus could not deny that blood tie.

Pleading and negotiation and bargaining took place; it was lucky Zeus was in a good mood. Celeste was able to keep her child with her, yet if it were to be so, her daughter must never visit the mortal world, else she be wrenched from her mother’s love. Celeste, not realizing the danger in this situation, complied ever so happily.

The child was even more beautiful than her mother; she possessed the same silken hair, but of the lighter variety like her grandfather Apollo, and azure eyes which arched gracefully and fell with the swiftness of a thousand falling leaves. Celeste named her daughter for this prominent feature, and thus Arca was a spectacle, even among the gods.

As Arca grew, Celeste knew of nothing but pure joy. Unlike her mother, Celeste did not face pain, for she knew her daughter would always be with her, living a wonderful life. Celeste would often tap into Arca’s natural curiosity, showing her all the wonders of her art.

Arca eventually reached the age of the peak of curiosity— her teenage years. Yet how unlike her mother she was. Instead of compliant and quiet, Arca was a fiery favorite among the gods and goddesses. Aphrodite especially attempted to tag Arca to her, wanting her beauty to replace Eros’ current wife. Yet Arca was disinterested in matters of love; she was an adventurer, an explorer, and Artemis was the goddess who was able to bring Arca to her side.

Artemis saw the perfect opportunity to gain a recruit where she had lost one many years ago. Much as she did with Celeste, Artemis invited Arca to be a part of her hunting party. Though she was only a mortal, Arca lived in the realm of the immortals and had since acquired many favorable traits and gifts, making her a valid choice for this position. Arca, without knowing Artemis’ true intentions, sincerely considered the offer. Despite knowing somewhere in the back of her mind that she was forbidden to go to earth, as was necessary to be a part of Artemis’ group, Arca dismissed this fact as well as any fears she may have had, and plunged directly into the world of the maidens.

Unbeknownst to Celeste, Arca had accepted the offer of Artemis. The news came as shocking to the goddess of weather.

“Dear mother, I am going to depart to earth in a matter of days,” said Arca.

“Daughter, do not speak foolishly, earth is no place to be,” said Celeste.

“Why is that not so? Either way, it is part of my duty, for I have become a maiden of Artemis.”

“Sweet girl, are you playing games with me? When did this event occur? Child, you cannot be part of the goddess’ clan!”

“Mother, I have accepted her invitation. Love has no place in my heart except for you and Apollo. It is the best this way, for I am tempted by adventure and the unknown.”

Upon hearing her daughter’s words, Celeste felt a wound open in her heart, the wound felt by Adenine when her daughter was taken. Yet the wound was also different, as Celeste knew nothing but exile awaited Arca on the earth. There were no chances left, for intervention was too late since Arca had already given her sincere pledge. To break her promise would be an even greater sorrow than Celeste having to let her go.

“Why, why did it have to be her? Could I have not given myself in her place? Alas, I was once in her place but denied the opportunity. Rightly so, for if I did not, I could have never felt the joy I felt with Arca. Yet sorrow awaits, for she will be wrenched from me and there is no one to place the fault on! I must let that part of her go in my heart if I wish to keep her memory alive.”

And so on the day of Arca’s departure, Celeste did ask one favor of Artemis— that she watch over her daughter as if she were her right hand maiden. While Celeste knew asking that Artemis watch over Arca as her own daughter could not be true for Artemis was a maiden, she knew that by asking her this one thing she would be granted it. Yet even so, Celeste had one task left to accomplish.
From her soul burst such goodness and depth and love due to her sacrifice that a torrential rain presided above the party, and from this short lived pouring glittered a magnificent sight- a multicolored arch of shining light which went on and on, and reached right into the heart of Celeste’s daughter. In that moment, Arca knew she would not see her mother physically again. Yet now there was a sign to symbolize the love in spirit, a dazzling arch which represented Arca and Celeste’s love for her.
And so Celeste completed the final sign she had been working on in her younger years which she could not at the time to communicate with her mother; the sign of happiness, goodness, love, and hope. The sign that means goodness can arise from grief and sorrow. And each time after a heavy rain occurs, the rainbow is seen in the sky, the end never found, for love has no end.

Hanban12This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 6:39 pm:
Wonderful! Your vocabulary and grammer are specatcular; you write like you lived at the time of the ancient myths. It mustve taken so long to write this! I loved the ending about why rainbows are formed. Your really talented! :P

livebeautifulx3 replied...
today at 6:49 pm :
Thank you so much! I truly appreciate your feedback :D