Natural Breath | Teen Ink

Natural Breath

By Bailey Whelchel BRONZE, Newfane, Vermont
Bailey Whelchel BRONZE, Newfane, Vermont

The Sun warmed my face and body as the shade receded from where I was seated. The grass was only recently dried in the sun, yet it still felt damp at the base of the sycamore. I had found a perfect spot to simply sit and relax. The old tree I was leaning on had the perfect concavity for use as my own personal seat; it felt like a throne as a looked at my view. The stream directly in front of me was right on the border of where the woods started, and the field ended. It was very rocky, and its water ran clear and cool, it had no fish yet, my imagination seemed to be conjuring splashing sounds accompanying the quite babbling emanating from the water. It might have be a good spot for a swim, were the stream a bit deeper, and I a bit smaller. Past that was the field; in it were rolling hills and tall, uncut grass that looked like the set from The Sound of Music. Past the field were more woods; rather, they were the woods that surrounded the field I was viewing. It is hard to tell where one set of woods starts and another begins in Vermont. The whole atmosphere around me hummed with insects, birds, and animals, and I could tell for miles that there was a presence of prospering non-human life. There were deer that were just on the periphery of my senses, I could see the flash of a tail, and heat the crunch of a leaf, but they kept far away from me. So there I sat, simply drinking in all that was around me, acutely aware that the air I breathed had no smell, and that the water I pulled from my well tasted better than anything in a sold in a bottle. There really is nothing like just enjoying the view, of this great state, it always makes me feel like I’m at home.

A naturalist's snap-shot

ChrisM said...
on Apr. 9 2013 at 11:44 am
This gave a great snap-shot into Vermont wildlife and I thought it was really easy to connect to.

gilly1994 said...
on Apr. 9 2013 at 11:39 am
The description of Nature was great.

on Apr. 9 2013 at 11:37 am
DesireeAmy BRONZE, Brattleboro, Vermont
I liked this piece. It had great details and made me feel as if I was in the moment. I could relate with the piece as well. 

on Apr. 9 2013 at 11:37 am
SageElizabeth, Brattleboro, Vermont
This scene sounds so peaceful. Deffinatly a Vermont scenery. 

on Apr. 9 2013 at 11:34 am
Conner Elliott-Knaggs BRONZE, Dummerston, Vermont
"It is hard to tell where one set of woods starts and another begins in Vermont."  I really enjoy this image of how Vermont is one endless woodland.  One thing I would change is the first part of the last sentence.  It would be stronger without that telling.

JamesFerris said...
on Apr. 9 2013 at 11:31 am
I could feel like I was sitting in my special spot in the woods.  Images were created in my mind beautifully due to your writing.  Just remember to proof read.

Hannah Lynde said...
on Apr. 9 2013 at 11:30 am
Hannah Lynde, Guilford, Vermont
I really like how you describe the field, the woods, and the stream from where you are sitting. It also makes me feel like I am there. There was one spot at the end where there was a little mistake where it said, "...tasted better than anything in a sold in a bottle." 

on Apr. 9 2013 at 11:28 am
EmilyBau BRONZE, Brattleboro, Vermont
I loved the parts about nature! I could feel and sense it.

on Apr. 9 2013 at 11:27 am
Rebecca Potter BRONZE, Guilford, Vermont
The concept of drinking in all that was around the speaker, breathing air without a smell--both observations that draw the reader in without pushing it. Superb. 

on Apr. 9 2013 at 11:22 am
Kelsey Windish BRONZE, Guilford, Vermont
I like how you connected it to the sound of music. I could really picture what you were talking about.

on Apr. 9 2013 at 11:21 am
louisarstrothman BRONZE, Putney, Vermont
The language and arrangement of this piece gives it a really peacful feeling and the writing is very easy to connect to.