First Dream Upon Four Inches of Memory Foam and New Pendleton Blanket | Teen Ink

First Dream Upon Four Inches of Memory Foam and New Pendleton Blanket

By FlannelSkin PLATINUM, Portland, Oregon
FlannelSkin PLATINUM, Portland, Oregon

“If faces are different when lit from above or below – what is a face? What is anything?" - William Golding, "Lord of the Flies"

My blood feels wrong, worse because I am in a moving car. I feel like I did in the pre-Celexa period, like I was prematurely decomposing on the inside. I'm back to the worst. The fear will prevent me from graduating, loving, leaving my bed. I will turn pale and thinner. I will wither and crack. Mother is driving me to a dark office to get new medicines.
You are with me and criticizing my sense of humor. I think of your messy house, the yellow plastic teapot on the floor by the piano and I get angry at your freedom to live in disorder without collapsing. I scream at you and yell at you and you want to help me, help me, hold me, talk it out, pet my arm but I just scream. I tell you that you're meaningless in a very concise and loud way. I am proud of the power that exists under my teeth and tongue. I think of Lady Macbeth, fill me from the crown to the toe top-full of direst cruelty. You fold and cower in your seat belt and I feel dark red and friendless. I scream some more because everyone knows I'm scared and everyone knows I'm angry so I can scream as much as I want and all they can do is pity me.
Later when I'm walking home, uphill and in the dark, I pass by the drug park and you send me a message. He's hit you, it says. He's beating you and you need my help. I only answer with a question, "who is hitting you?" I know but I want you to say it so I can feel darker red.
In your reply, all the words are sideways and sadly grateful that I responded to you. You say his name and how much you love me and I feel the weight move from my right shoulder to my left shoulder.
I am not the sick, crooked one, I decide. You are the sick, crooked one. You're the one who loves the cruel.

migwam ELITE said...
migwam ELITE, Tumwater, Washington

"Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present." --Marcus Aurelius

Damn. To read this is to feel it, in an awful, angry way. I love it.