Super Girl Visits the Grand Canyon | Teen Ink

Super Girl Visits the Grand Canyon

“Michael James Patterson!” screamed a middle aged woman at her teenage son. “You get your butt away from that edge! You’re making Mommy very nervous!”

Mommy?! I thought, This kid is a teenager, probably my age! Mommy?! And who talks in the third person to their teenager? I rolled my eyes.

“Mum! I’m fine!” Michael yelled back. He was trying to impress his friends by pretending to fall off the edge. He was probably around fifteen (hopefully, I’m fifteen too!). I guessed he was a football player or a swimmer because of his broad shoulders and muscular arms.

I gazed at him dreamily as he, again, pretended to fall. Neither he nor I noticed his mother stomp over. She grabbed him forcefully by the arm and dragged him to a safer spot.

While Michael was being yelled at, I quietly sauntered up to Michael’s friends.

“Does Michael have a girlfriend?” I blurted out. Did I really just ask that?

One of his friends turned to look at me. I sighed happily. Were all the boys around here cute? Dirty blonde hair, ocean blue eyes, sparkling white smile (or was that a smirk?), and a face sculpted by angels. I happily sighed again. Life was perfect!

“Little desperate aren’t we? You even live around here?” he asked sarcastically.

Did the totally cute guy just dis me?

“Yes!” I said indignantly. I was crushed. Not only had this guy just insulted me, he insulted me in front of his friends!

I inadvertently discovered I had super powers! I levitated a couple feet off the ground. Realizing I could fly, I grabbed the rude boy by the collar, flew him over the canyon, and let go of his collar. It felt good to get revenge! Unfortunately, if I actually did let him fall 1.6 kilometers to his death, it would send the wrong message to children! I sped down after him and caught him seconds before he would have become a human pancake. I flew him over to a safer spot. Ready to throw this rude little twit onto the ground, I thought this probably was not a good idea. I plopped him down with as little force as I could manage.

“Don’t mess with me again,” I ordered sternly.

I flew off into the sunset and everyone lived happily ever after.

Sadly, life is not as perfect as I might have liked! I did not have super powers.
I looked up at the rude boy, then down in defeat.

Just then, Michael walked over. “Who is this?” he inquired, looking at me.

I blushed. In my head, I sang over and over again, “He noticed me! He noticed me!”

“Man, she asked if you had a girlfriend.” His friend scoffed.

“You said no, right?” he stared down the blonde kid. “I don’t, seriously,” he added glancing at me. “Hey, you live around here?”

“Yeah, you?” I blushed.

“Yeah. Do-do you wanna go get some lunch? It’s on me.”

“Sure I’d love to!” said the blonde friend.

“I was asking- What’s your name?” his eyes met mine. They were a fierce blue, and held onto my eyes, refusing to liberate my soft amber eyes. I realized that he was still waiting for an answer when he blinked and set my eyes free if only for a second.

“Sha-Shauna,” I stuttered. I couldn’t help it, just staring into his eyes made me lose track of the time and place.

“I was asking Shauna!” he said wiping the smirk off his friend’s face.

“I’d love to,” I replied turning a deep magenta.

As we were walking away, I looked back at Michael’s mother. I knew exactly what she was thinking: Michael’s safe now, his mind is on that beautiful girl. He won’t go near the dangerous edge anymore. In a way I didn’t think about, maybe I am a hero.

sleepingsoundly BRONZE, Unknown, Massachusetts

i agree with BeatleMania16!

nice job.

LOVE this!! i can't believe no one has commented!! this article is basically how i think, only i wouldn't be so daring as to ask if a guy had a girlfriend :P