The Trilogy of Change | Teen Ink

The Trilogy of Change

By TheGhost101 GOLD, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
TheGhost101 GOLD, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

"Let that child alone!"--Piccolo, Dragon Ball Z.

The Trilogy of Change

“Change: For Better or Worse...?”

One day, at New Felix High, Kid, our hero, is struggling in the social aspect of High School. One day, he gets his chance to shine.

“Thanks Kid,” said T, one of the popular kids. “We couldn't have passed that test without you, man.”

“Uh...no problem, guys.”

“In fact, with our gratitude, you can hang with us now, homie.”

“Really?,” Kid hesitates.

“Yeah! You can get all the babes, my man,” yelled CJ, T's right hand man.

“I'll see you guys tomorrow in class.”

“Alright, man. Peace.”

Over the ensuing days at New Felix High, Kid slowly starts to befriend T and CJ. They hung out after school, talking about stuff, like the finest girls, the so-called “lamest students in the school”, the teachers they hate, etc. The trio eventually became even more popular thanks to their good looks, and their overall charm.

During lunch one day, Candice, Kid's only friend, asks if they could go on a study date. Kid rejects her request, to her shock.

“You see, Candice, I'm hanging out with T and CJ,” Kid says. “They're pretty cool.”

“Pretty cool? Kid, they're two of the baddest guys in our grade.”

“I don't get it. Oh, I see, I can't hang out with them because they're 'two of the baddest kids in our grade'?”

“Kid, don't let this get to your head, please...” Candice walks away, disappointed at Kid's attitude.

During the night, at Kid's house, he looks in the mirror, thinking, “Is she right about this?” His evil side appears in his reflection, telling him, “No, Kid. She's wrong! Candice doesn't want you to be happy, not at all.”

“What if Candice is right about this? Then what?”

“Don't listen to her, you slime! Candice should mean nothing to you. You're one of the popular kids now. Think about all the cred you can get.”

Kid goes to bed, having thoughts about being someone in the limelight or not.

“Change: The Turning Point”

“Hi, Kid,” Candice says to him the next day before class. “How are you?”

“What do you want?,” Kid yells at her.

“I just wanted to see how you're holding up. I was wondering if we could go to the arcade.”

“Nah. I got better things to do.”

“I see. So that's how it is. You've changed. What's wrong with you, Kid?!”

“What' wrong with me?!,” Kid retaliates. “Candice, I've never been so accepted by anyone else. You don't understand. I'm in the mainstream now! You can join me!”

“Forget it, Kid,” Candice replies with disgust.” “I'll never join those dirt bags, not even with you!”

“Well screw you!!”

Candice, stunned by Kid's insult, starts to sob, and runs off. Everyone in the hall stares with surprise. Kid leaves as well.

“What have I become?,” Kid asks himself deep down.

The next day, Kid talks to T and CJ, asking if he should apologize to Candice after the incident.

“Kid, you ain't gotta apologize to her,” T replies. “She's gotta come to you.”

“Look, don't worry about it,” CJ says. “You still got us.”

“Hold on, guys,” Kid says. “'Her coming to me is no solution. I'm not forgetting about her. Candice did nothing to me. She was there when I had no one. You can't stop me from going to her!”

“Now you're on her side,” T questions.

“Well, Kid, if you're with her, then you're not hanging with us anymore,” CJ screams.

“If that's the way it's gotta be, then fine, I'm out!”

T and CJ look at Kid as he walks off, really shook up by his words.

Later that night, at his house, Kid thinks about the events that occurred and how much he has changed for the worse.

“It's all my fault,” Kid tells himself. “I pushed away my only friend. I gotta make things right!”

Kid goes to sleep, knowing what he has to do to mend the damage he's done.

“Change: The Final Resolution”

At school, Kid heads over to Candice, who is at her locker, to give her an apology.

“Candice...,” Kid starts up.

“What is it?,” she asks.

“I...I'm very sorry for hurting your feelings. I apologize.”

“Kid, why are you doing this? Aren't you supposed to be with 'the mainstream'?”

“I backed out of it. They were being a bunch of douche bags, talking behind your back. I couldn't let them do that to you.”

“Awe, that's kind of you. You stood up for me,” Candice says with delight.

“A person that goes behind someone's back is a coward,” Kid says. “A real man stands up for their friends, no matter what the circumstances are.”

“Touching words, Kid. I accept your apology,” Candice says satisfactorily.

The two embrace each other, glad to be reunited. Thus, their friendship is rekindled.

“So, you wanna go to the arcade after school?”

“Sure thing, Candice.”

The two walk down the hallway, on the way to class, both of them joyful to stroll together, side-by side.

The End

This article is three pieces of flash fiction worked into one. I hope you enjoy it. Cheers!