Down the Road | Teen Ink

Down the Road

February 19, 2008
By Anonymous

Down the road they came on horses, capes billowing out behind. There were two of them; their horses’ eyes were red and glaring, the brown of the horses’ fur hardly distinguishable from against the black of the riders’ figure. The riders had no facial features, like 3D silhouettes with only white slits for eyes.
The beings came to a cottage sitting in a field, and drifted through the wall like ghosts. The father pushed his wife and four children into the cellar for protection and locked the door. The mother and children heard a thumping and then silence. The dark riders walked down the stairs, going right through the locked door. In protection, the mother leaped forward, only to be absorbed by the one who walked through the wall.
The lone rider split into three and drifted toward the children. The oldest boy punched the leader, and was sucked into it like his mother. The youngest boy pushed his sisters behind him and stood tall against the two, ready to fight to the end. The two split into six, which circled around the children, closing in, tighter and tighter until they too were swallowed up.
The Dark Rider’s prison was like being in the dark. The children could see each other, but it seemed like they were walking on shade. Before anything was said, the four children were dropped on the grass outside their house, the adults no where to be seen.
The four children climbed onto four different horses, all identical brown ones with a dark rider accompanying them. The horses leapt into the night sky and sprouted wings slowly turning lighter in color as the group flew higher. A few miles up, the Dark Riders fell off backwards and melted into the ground. The horses were now a pearly white as the children flew on and up.
The children were in space now, floating in a sea of stars. The stars were strange, more like actual drawn stars instead of big balls of burning gas. The youngest boy reached out and picked one. He sniffed it and ate it, looked extremely happy and ate another. The others did so too, except the youngest sister, who sat on her winged horse, watching the others with pity. After about five, each child who had eaten a star turned into a dragon and looked very sad. They flew off, and so did their flying horses, leaving the girl and her horse alone in space.
The girl’s horse flew into the sun and melted halfway through the wall of flames. The girl tumbled into a room of fire. She walked over to a bed of flames, pulled up the covers and fell asleep.