The Falling Snow | Teen Ink

The Falling Snow

The snow fell, tangling into her golden blond curls that were spiraling down her back. Taking a deep breath, she inhaled the scent of the falling snow. Her royal blue knee-length dress flowed, as the wind brushed through it. All other high school sophomores were all enjoying themselves inside at the Winter Formal.

It was different for Kay Morgan. She was standing outside, pulling her leather jacket tighter around her and her spaghetti strapped royal blue dress. She was supposed to have come with her best friend, Adam, but that was before. Before he decided to go to that prestigious private school. Before he decided to leave their school with barely a word of goodbye. Slowly, a tear trickled down her cheek. I really miss him, she thought, as she sat down on a bench that was standing on the sidewalk of the school.

It was different now. It had all changed. None of it made sense to Kay. She and Adam had been best friends since they were in diapers and then he just picked up and left, not even saying anything to Kay.

“How could he do this to me,” she whispered, wiping her eyes quickly. “How could he just leave me like this?”

“Maybe he had a good reason,” a voice expressed from behind her. “Maybe he was scared that your reaction could completely change his mind.”

Kay slowly standing up, and turning to face the mysterious stranger. In front of her was Adam. His snow filled brunette hair fell in his eyes, but even through his hair was covering them, she could see his emerald green eyes shining through. Kay could see the concern in them. He smiled slightly and took a few steps forward.

“Adam,” she gasped softly. He nodded. Kay’s face broke into a smile, as she rushed forward and hugged him. Adam held her tightly.

“Kay, I’m so so sorry,” Adam expressed quietly. “It’s just…” The two pulled away from their hug and stared at each other. His emerald eyes bored into Kay’s sapphire ones. Kay looked at him expectantly, waiting for him to continue. “It’s just… I know that if you had said don’t go, I would have… I don’t know, I probably would have stayed. I just knew that this would have been a great opportunity for me and I couldn’t pass it up.”

“I never would have stopped you,” Kay whispered. “I’m proud of you. I know what a great school that is, but I just wish that you had told me or at least said goodbye.”

“Yeah, I know,” Adam responded. “Ok, Kay, I have to go. My brother is waiting. I just knew you’d be here, so I’d thought I could talk to you here. I’ll call you as soon as I can.” Kay nodded, as a small tear formed in her eyes. “Ok, bye, then.”

Adam turned and started to walk away. Kay watched his retreating form. Suddenly, it hit her. I can’t let him leave like this again, she thought.

“ADAM!” she called.

He turned and stared at her. She ran forward. Her black heels were clapping against the cement of the sidewalk. As she reached him, she hugged him, as he picked her up and swung her in circles. Their laughter soon filled the air.

“I’m going to miss you,” she smiled, as Adam set her on the ground.

“I’ll miss you too, Kay,” Adam replied, as his smile faltered slightly, as he thought about leaving her.

“Take care of yourself,” Kay said softly.

“Yeah, you too,” he replied. “I have to go, but I’ll be back soon.” Kay nodded and watched as he left, knowing he’d be back.

Kay smiled, as she stood out in the snow as it fell, tangling into her golden blond curls. She took a deep breath, inhaling the soft scent of snow, as she pulled her leather jacket tighter around her and her royal blue knee length dress, knowing that everything was okay.

on Sep. 9 2008 at 4:40 pm
i'm not going to start with "i loved it.." cuz eveyone started with that so i'll say that at the end=] it was such a pretty story it had alot of details and i really liked the relationship between adam and kay, plain out i loved it!=]

on Sep. 8 2008 at 10:08 pm
Very sweet! This was great, you could feel two very different things, the snow, and the emotion. Very good.

on Aug. 28 2008 at 11:38 pm
I love the details you used in the first paragraph...I could see the pictures in my mind =)

AntiCritic said...
on Aug. 28 2008 at 12:31 pm
I noticed this story because it was the top-rated story the other day and bookmarked it. I was only able to read it just now. I thought the story was great. It kept my attention throughout and made me want to know what was going to happen next. Although fiction is subjective, I cannot see how anyone could say this was not enjoyable. And, let's face it, it was the top rated story for a reason. I hope we see more from you in the near future! Keep on writing!

Love said...
on Aug. 27 2008 at 6:18 pm
I disagree with critic...I really liked it. It is definately one of the top stories I have read on this site.

Critic said...
on Aug. 26 2008 at 3:50 pm
I have to say that I disagree with most people who commented and I don't understand why this is the top voted story. It was good, but definitely not that good. An editor maybe?

RosesThorn said...
on Aug. 21 2008 at 12:54 am
I like the opening - it sort of adds a sense of depression, because everyone inside is so happy and ecstatic while she's lonely and cold.

The whole thing was very cute and this definitely gives the impression of a lot more to come in the future ;). They sound like a cute couple.

I also like the full circle ending about the royal blue dress - at the beginning, it seems to be a miserable, lonely dress because she's not with anyone, she's alone in the world...At the end, it's a beautiful dress and even if she's not with anyone at that moment, she knows she will eventually and that it's not totally over for her.

I liked it, and I hope this gets to the print magazine. Good luck in that! This was very sweet and romantic.

Happy Sun said...
on Aug. 13 2008 at 2:54 pm
I am a constant reader. This young lady certainly knows how to tell a story. It was absolutely fantastic and enjoyable. However, being a romantic, I was hoping he would stay with her. So maybe a sequel? Loved it!

Yankee Dude said...
on Aug. 13 2008 at 2:42 pm
It's amazing how such a short story can say so much! Great job!!

Jersey Mom said...
on Aug. 13 2008 at 1:44 pm
Wow...what a story. You are an amazing writer with real talent! Keep writing, girl! I am looking forward to more!!

on Aug. 12 2008 at 10:35 pm
I could see everything occurring and feel the emotions. Amazing how an entire story and you get to know the characters as a result of a single page. Well done! How can I read more?

on Aug. 12 2008 at 3:04 am
great story and ya no wat it think sombody named tara should do a sequel to this amazing story:) Good story but do a sequel called the evaporating snow yeps

phantom said...
on Aug. 12 2008 at 2:33 am
I loved this story...the details were great..it almost felt as if I could feel the snow!!

on Aug. 11 2008 at 6:35 pm
i loved your story so much. it was very very very good :]