The Falling Snow | Teen Ink

The Falling Snow

April 28, 2008
By Anonymous

The snow fell, tangling into her golden blond curls that were spiraling down her back. Taking a deep breath, she inhaled the scent of the falling snow. Her royal blue knee-length dress flowed, as the wind brushed through it. All other high school sophomores were all enjoying themselves inside at the Winter Formal.

It was different for Kay Morgan. She was standing outside, pulling her leather jacket tighter around her and her spaghetti strapped royal blue dress. She was supposed to have come with her best friend, Adam, but that was before. Before he decided to go to that prestigious private school. Before he decided to leave their school with barely a word of goodbye. Slowly, a tear trickled down her cheek. I really miss him, she thought, as she sat down on a bench that was standing on the sidewalk of the school.

It was different now. It had all changed. None of it made sense to Kay. She and Adam had been best friends since they were in diapers and then he just picked up and left, not even saying anything to Kay.

“How could he do this to me,” she whispered, wiping her eyes quickly. “How could he just leave me like this?”

“Maybe he had a good reason,” a voice expressed from behind her. “Maybe he was scared that your reaction could completely change his mind.”

Kay slowly standing up, and turning to face the mysterious stranger. In front of her was Adam. His snow filled brunette hair fell in his eyes, but even through his hair was covering them, she could see his emerald green eyes shining through. Kay could see the concern in them. He smiled slightly and took a few steps forward.

“Adam,” she gasped softly. He nodded. Kay’s face broke into a smile, as she rushed forward and hugged him. Adam held her tightly.

“Kay, I’m so so sorry,” Adam expressed quietly. “It’s just…” The two pulled away from their hug and stared at each other. His emerald eyes bored into Kay’s sapphire ones. Kay looked at him expectantly, waiting for him to continue. “It’s just… I know that if you had said don’t go, I would have… I don’t know, I probably would have stayed. I just knew that this would have been a great opportunity for me and I couldn’t pass it up.”

“I never would have stopped you,” Kay whispered. “I’m proud of you. I know what a great school that is, but I just wish that you had told me or at least said goodbye.”

“Yeah, I know,” Adam responded. “Ok, Kay, I have to go. My brother is waiting. I just knew you’d be here, so I’d thought I could talk to you here. I’ll call you as soon as I can.” Kay nodded, as a small tear formed in her eyes. “Ok, bye, then.”

Adam turned and started to walk away. Kay watched his retreating form. Suddenly, it hit her. I can’t let him leave like this again, she thought.

“ADAM!” she called.

He turned and stared at her. She ran forward. Her black heels were clapping against the cement of the sidewalk. As she reached him, she hugged him, as he picked her up and swung her in circles. Their laughter soon filled the air.

“I’m going to miss you,” she smiled, as Adam set her on the ground.


“I’ll miss you too, Kay,” Adam replied, as his smile faltered slightly, as he thought about leaving her.

“Take care of yourself,” Kay said softly.

“Yeah, you too,” he replied. “I have to go, but I’ll be back soon.” Kay nodded and watched as he left, knowing he’d be back.

Kay smiled, as she stood out in the snow as it fell, tangling into her golden blond curls. She took a deep breath, inhaling the soft scent of snow, as she pulled her leather jacket tighter around her and her royal blue knee length dress, knowing that everything was okay.