x | Teen Ink

x

Forbid and forget

“Welcome to grade nine orientation kids!” said Mr. Wheebly as my classmates and I walk the halls of Milton High. Every year all the grade nine students gather in the gym of Milton High and get assigned our grade eleven buddies. “Lo hurry up, they’re posting the list!” said my best friend Abby. I read the list and beside my name was the name Justin-Bobby Newton.

“Who is Lauren Falcon?” I thought to myself while reading the buddy assignment list. I don’t even want to be doing this, but considering that it’s mandatory I really have no choice. “hey, JB” screamed my best friend Ty. “Dude, don’t call me that.” I reminded him. “Never mind that man, look at that chick.” He directed that comment to a petite blond girl . “What about her?” I asked. I wasn’t looking at her, I was looking at the tall brunette beside her.

“Lo, that guy over there,” said Abby while pointing at a cute blond boy in a plaid shirt that slightly resembled one of a lumberjack. He was staring right at me. “Abby, is their something in my teeth? Why is he staring at me?” I asked Abby. “No Lo, I think his friend wants us to go over there.” I noticed a guy with brown hair waving at us to go see them.

“Dude, what are you doing? Seriously stop!” I pleaded. He was waving at the two girls to come over here. Man, I hate it when he does this. “I have a girlfriend, I don’t need another.” I reminded him. Me and my girlfriend Jennifer have been together for almost a year now. Jen is a great girl. She’s smart, a cheerleader and the prettiest girl in school. But she can be fake, she’s always pressuring me to study, dress nicely and stay on peoples good side. But I’m tired of being fake. If someone gets me mad, I want to get mad back.

Abby and I head over to see the guys. “Hey, im Ty.” Said the brunette. “And I’m Justin-Bobby.” Said the blond. “Hey I’m Abby and this is Lo.” Abby is very outgoing, never shy. That’s why I love her. “Hey um Justin-Bobby? I think you’re my grade eleven buddy for the day.”

“No, actually I’m with a girl named Lauren Falcon. Sorry.” She started to laugh. “Why are you laughing? Was it something I said?”

“My name is actually Lauren but my friends call me Lo.” I giggle. “Oh, sorry” Said Justin-Bobby. He was blushing. “No poblem, I guess you and I should get going.” I told Justin. It was at that moment we realized the gym was empty. Everybody must’ve left.

“Okay, lets go.” I said. We made it through math and english. During lunchtime we went outside near the picnic tables.
“I can’t believe you’ve never had a cucumber sandwich before!” I said. I noticed a really pretty blond girl approach us. She looked angry. “Justin! You were supposed to be eating with me, remember! You promised you would drive me to the diner!” She yelled. Wow it’s amazing how angry somebody can get over something so little.

“Not now Jen, your making a fool of yourself in front of Lo.” I told her the truth. “I think I should go.” Lo said sweetly. “No Lo it’s okay. I want you to stay. Jen don’t you have a grade nine buddy to be with?” I said. I knew she was mad, because she ran away.

“Justin, I really should go.” I told him. It was at that moment he took my hand and told me. “No, Lo. I don’t want you to leave. We’ve barely spent three hours together and I feel like I’ve known you forever.” That’s when he brushed my hair behind my ear and kissed my cheek.

“Why are you crying?” I asked her. I could see the sadness in her eyes. “I really have to go.” She whimpered. I tried to make her stay but she ran off. I couldn’t let her go whithout apologizing, I jumped in my car and followed her.

I was riding fast. “Hey Lo, stop. Please I’m so sorry.” It was Justin-Bobby. “Why are you sorry?” I asked. “What do you mean?” He sounded confused. “Because I like you. But I shouldn’t, because I should like my boyfriend.”

“Wow um, I didn’t know you had one.” I told her. I felt so bad. “I know, but he lives out of town. This long distance stuff doesn’t seem to be working out very well so far.” She said. “Well, do you want to go grab some ice cream?” I asked her. She hopped in my car. “What about school? I still have two classes left.” “Don’t worry we still have thirty minutes. I will have you back in time.

We were driving when I looked at him, he looked back at me with a playful grin. I held his hand. We got our ice cream and headed back to school.

On our way back we were talking and laughing. Suddenly I blink and open my eyes. I was in a hospital room with many people looking over me. “What happened?” I ask the doctor. “Your okay, don’t worry. You got in a car accident.” He responded. “What about Lo? I mean Lauren, is she okay?” He gave me a strange look and replied. “ She’s in critical condition, we’re not sure if she’s going to make it. She has severe head injuries.”

An hour passed. It was the longest hour of my life. A doctor came into my room and told me the police had a few questions to ask me. They asked about the accident. “I’m sorry but I don’t remember anything.” I wasn’t in the mood to talk. But I had to know what happened. “Young man you were involved in a fatal car accident that killed the driver of the other vehicle involved.” He explained. “I did what? No, I didn’t do it. Who did we hit?” I needed to know. I was in shock. “You hit a young girl by the name of Jennifer who unfortunately didn’t make it. Two other passengers from the same vehicle remain in critical condition Abbigail Birch and Tyler Polster. “

“No, no. This can’t be happening. They’re going to live, right? I’m only sixteen. I can’t be responsible for killing four teenagers.” I was a mess. This couldn’t be happening. My best friend, my girlfriend, the girl I like and her best friend. Why me?

“Justin,” A doctor came in. “I’m sorry to tell you this but Abbigail died” he told me. “No , please no. No!” I felt hot tears burning my eyes. I couldn’t hold them in much longer. “What about Ty and Lo? Please tell me they’re okay. Please!” I pleaded. “Tylers fine and Lo will be okay, she suffered memory loss and doesn’t remember anything that happened today.”

Weight was lifted off my back when they let me go visit Ty. He told me that before Abby died she told him to tell me not to worry and she was meant to go to heaven. It was her time. That didn’t make me fell better. Nothing would until we were told by a nurse the we could go visit Lo.

I noticed a redheaded boy holding her hand. “Who are you?” We asked in unison. “I’m Talan, Lo’s boyfriend.” He said. “Im Justin-Bobby, Lo’s um, friend.” Lo opened your eyes and looked at me “Who are you?” She said.

It was at that moment I finally let the hot tears drip down my face and I ran.

This will certify that the above work is completely original.

Keely Elizabeth Gunn