The Reason

When Kipling was eighteen years old, she went off with her boyfriend and they got married. Everything was unexpected, because Kipling was supposed to be perfect. Everyone but she, herself, thought she was perfect and that she was going to go out into the world to do amazing things. She was going to be a doctor and she was going to make a difference. Instead, she let down everyone when she ran off with Anderson at the age of eighteen. She was just a girl, and everyone in the world knows that girls should never make decisions like that. Kipling had the world in her grasp, and she let it slip one day by running away and getting married.
Kipling is my sister, or, was my sister. I haven’t seen her since she was an eighteen-year-old girl and I was a twelve-year-old child. I remember my parents crying when they walked into the living room on a beautiful summer evening and saw “F*** you all” spray painted all over the walls of our beautiful house. Kipling had already left and was halfway to Montana by then, but we tried to find her for months. And, that was it. She never came back.
For years we wondered if the girl was dead or alive, but Anderson called us on her 21st birthday and told us she was okay and that they were married and happy. My father spewed venomous words into the phone at Anderson for taking his perfect daughter away from him. He wanted Kipling to return right away, but Anderson insisted Kipling was okay. My father really could care less whether or not his eldest daughter was okay, all he really wanted was for her to come back and start over. He wanted to know what happened and what sent her off the deep end. Even as a 15-year-old I wanted to know what happened to her, too.
Had she gotten into drugs? That was what my mother was convinced of; that her perfect girl had fallen to drug abuse. And of course, it was Anderson’s fault, too. My father never could believe that Kipling was addicted to any sort of drug, simply because she was Kipling. She never did anything wrong up until the day she left. He had convinced himself that Anderson had forced Kipling to leave, and Kipling fought every day to come back to the small town of Valencia, California to be with her beloved family.
I thought nothing. Mainly, I just wondered. I wondered what she looked like now, and what she was doing at that exact moment, or if she ever wondered about me too.
I also wondered if, when I was 18, I would run away too. I could go be with Kipling and Anderson on their ranch in Montana. Yet, I would have no reason. What was Kipling’s?
It was a Sunday when I discovered a girl in high waisted shorts and a pink blouse basking in the warmth of the family’s charming back yard. She wore heart shaped sunglasses, and her lips were scarlet, as if she had just bitten into the juiciest red apple. She turned at the sound of my feet hitting the pavement and lowered the glasses to the brim of her nose. She sniffed. Then, she smiled.
“Hi Mya Lou.” She cooed. I stood in silence. I simply could not say anything. It had been nearly 5 years since I had talked to, or even seen my sister.
“The house is still the same, isn’t it? How’d you get that paint off the wall? I bet it took a long time.”
I nod.
“Yes,” I say. “It took a long time.”
Kipling laughs, and then she stands up and walks over to me, reaching for my hands. She grasps them at first and then pulls me into a giant embrace. I find myself reaching for her and feeling her black hair. It still feels like silk, even after all these confusing years apart.
“I’m not staying.” Kipling tells me bluntly, answering the question before it tumbles off of my lips. She smiles as she says it.
“I know.” I say. The fact is that I do know, there was no need to question it to begin with. Kipling had no reason to stay, but I wondered why she was here.
“It was because of sound of the air every night. The backyard and the way it was perfectly groomed. The way mom did her hair every day in the same damn bun. How the summer never seemed to end. It was because I wanted to taste the salt on the road in winter. I wanted to watch the geese fly away in the fall.” Kipling grasps my shoulders as she spits out her words. I simply nod.
“That’s my reason.” She says breathlessly. And suddenly, I have my reason. I have my reason to get out of the town that kept me down like drenched clothes in autumn. I have my reason to get out the red spray paint and decorate the walls in profanity.
“Take me with you.” I whisper.
So, she does.

C.K.Snow said...
Mar. 2, 2012 at 7:31 pm:
This was a very good story! Good job!

AbigailElizabeth replied...
Mar. 2, 2012 at 7:41 pm :
Thank you very much!

lvamp1192This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 2, 2012 at 5:37 pm:
sorry i posted this once already but i guess it didnt go on....i really liked the story especially when u justified the reasoning for Kipling leaving then the little sister had thought that's what she needed and i like how it leaves to the imagination about what happened after she left

AbigailElizabeth replied...
Mar. 2, 2012 at 5:52 pm :
I'm so happy you enjoyed it! The ending is supposed to make the reader interpret what they wish, so I'm glad that is what you got out of it.