Into the Future | Teen Ink

Into the Future

By kaitlin96 SILVER, Hemet, California
kaitlin96 SILVER, Hemet, California

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.”
-Benjamin Franklin

Zoom, zoom and into the future! I woke up one morning and found myself in the year 2022. Everything was so different. There was not a single thing that seemed normal. My education was at a far more advanced level, my career choice was nothing like I thought it would be, and my family life, hobbies and living places were out of this world.
The desire for every student to receive a quality education remained in the future, however there were big technological advances that increased the value and quality of my education. We were all learning from a holographic teacher. There wasn’t a single real professor on campus, but everyone listened intently. I understood every word the holographic professor said; it was perfectly clear and understandable. He finished his lesson and gave us our homework assignment. As I began to copy the assignment the girl next to me giggled. Out of curiosity, I asked why she was laughing to which she said the homework assignment would be automatically sent to our laptops. The holographic professor then dismissed us and we were on our way.
As I left class and walked to the parking lot I received a text from a contact which indicated the sender was “Boss”. According to the text my boss wanted me at the office by noon. Being new to 2022, I was unsure where my office was or what task I would be performing. Before I reached my car, a black van screeched to a stop with the driver, who knew my name, instructed me to get in. I was shocked to learn I was an undercover spy for the Central Intelligence Agency. When I was little I always wanted to be a teacher, so learning I was a spy was both shocking and exciting. They told me my next spy mission would be to make friends with Bert, an international arms dealer. I was told to get essential information of Bert’s smuggling operation. I thought to myself, “In 2012 I never made friends with random strangers, this could get scary.” I shook off the fear and set out to accomplish my mission. I sprang from the van and did exactly as instructed. I found Bert in a little coffee shop drinking a caramel macchiato. I order the same drink and struck up a conversation. When my coffee arrived, Bert invited me to sit with him at his table. We starting talking and before I knew it, I had the information I needed. I left and went back to the van to report my findings. What a great career.
It had been a long day so I headed home. When I pulled into the driveway, my mother, father and younger brother were all there waiting for me. I was a little confused and thought maybe something was wrong. I parked in the garage and got out of the car. When I turned to face my family my father told me they were moving. I asked him where and he replied they were moving to Hawaii because he had received a promotion job transfer. Now I had a huge choice to make; quit my exciting career and move to the place of my dreams or stay and continue to work for the CIA. My father said I had three days to decide. I left the garage and went straight to my room to consider my options. Two days went by and I still hadn’t made a choice. The following morning I woke to my father asking for an answer. I told him I had made my decision to stay and continue my work as a spy. I told them I would visit on holidays and vacations. He said even though they would be living in another state we would still remain a close family. For the next three weeks my family packed everything into creates for the move. Before I knew it, I was settled into my new two bedroom apartment. What a different world in 2022.
I’m not sure how I ended up traveling through time ten years into the future but I am thankful I have a great family, career and wonderful education. Finding out my career choice was extremely exciting. I can’t wait until year 2022 and live it for real.

on Apr. 20 2012 at 6:47 pm
kaitlin96 SILVER, Hemet, California

-Benjamin Franklin

Thanks!

DanielM. said...
on Apr. 20 2012 at 6:42 pm
Great Job!!!